We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

Nuremberg
Level Contributor
206 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

We (I and my two sons, 10 and 8) will arrive at London Heathrow a little past 10 pm on May 18. My original idea was to stay at a hotel near the airport for two nights. We would probably visit either Hampton Court or Windsor on the 19th if the weather is fair (if it is truly horrible we might be better of going into London to see a museum etc.). In the morning on May 20 we will travel to the Isle of Wight for a one week stay.

But I can't decide whether staying near Heathrow is really our best option. It seems the prices are quite a bit lower than in London itself and I would like something close to the airport as we will all be tired when we arrive and I don't really want a long transfer at that time. On the other hand transportation from the Heathrow hotels seems a bit complicated. I would very much appreciate some input!

I would like to keep cost down as much as possible - possibly looking at a Premier Inn. However, I don't have a strict budget either.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo
Hampton by Hilton London...
3,185 Reviews
London, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
Isle of Wight
Isle of Wight
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

Heres the huge advantage of going into London when you arrive.

Wake up in the morning and you have a full day in London. The alternative is you spend the morning getting in, with crowds on the trains perhaps, you get into your hotel and probably can't check in so you leave your bags and head off for some sightseeing, then come back later and check in again. Probably you have wasted half a day.

So, bite the bullet, travel in when you arrive.

Even if you travel into Windsor, it likely won't take much longer than from an airport hotel, you also have the easy ability to get to Portsmouth for the IoW (or Southampton), and as you say, the flexibility to go where you want depending upon weather.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,111 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

How are you getting to the IOW? That detail might allow us to make some suggestions but like Joe I would consider going straight into central London and, assuming you are taking the train, staying at one of the several Premier Inns fairly close to Waterloo station from where trains to Portsmouth and Southampton depart.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
582 Reviews
London, UK
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Nuremberg
Level Contributor
206 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

Well, that is the problem. I am not quite sure how we will go to the IOW. On a previous visit we went by train from Waterloo which was fairly easy. From Heathrow it seems we either need a bus to get to the train station or we could take National Express all the way to Portsmouth. National Expess is quite a bit cheaper but takes pretty long, taking bus and train seems a bit of a pain.

On the other hand hotels near Heathrow really are quite a lot cheaper than in London itself. Also, I don't fancy travelling very far (or expensively) to our hotel on the 18th (as it will be at least 11 pm by then).

I guess I am wondering whether there is somewhere in between Heathrow and London that would serve us well (i.e. inexpensive, good access to public transportation).

We will visit London for several days AFTER we return from the IOW so really don't need to go there during this short stay (unless the weather is truly horrible).

Mentioned in this post
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
582 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

Also, I don't fancy travelling very far (or expensively) to our hotel on the 18th (as it will be at least 11 pm by then).

----------

I think you are underestimating the time to get to a hotel at Heathrow, it probably will be only fractionally quicker than getting to London. And when it comes to getting to Hampton Court or Windsor, will probably require a couple of buses and be slower than travelling from central London. And IoW will be as bad or worse. The extra, lets ay 30 minutes, you spend getting into London, will save you half a day the next day if you go to London, or a couple of hours should you travel to Hampton Court.

Certainly it may cost more to be in London, lets say its an extra £50 a day. You might reflect why that is. Is it "just because" or is it because its inconvenient and so prices reflect that?

You can either regard that as a waste of money, or as £50 well spent on being in a better more convenient location where you can make best use of your time and not spend half the time that you have expensively bought (at real cost of vacation time and transatlantic plane fare), travelling back and forth and sat on a bus. And you'll have something to do in the evenings, other than sit in your hotel room. Because you wont be going to the theatre or waking to a nearby restaurant from an off airport hotel. Though I suppose that will save you money so if that's your motivation that will definitely help :-)

And no, there is no magic location in between London and Heathrow which has the advantages of London location and the prices of Heathrow. Well, ok perhaps you could look at Jury's Inn at Hatton Cross (a couple of stops on the tube) or Earls Court or Hammersmith. Many would say these are London though, but you might find hotels fractionally cheaper. if I were you I'd be looking at what Adam said and look to be near Waterloo that is where you can get to all 3 places you mentioned and is obviously also easy to get to central London from.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo
Hampton by Hilton London...
3,185 Reviews
London, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
115 Reviews
London, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
582 Reviews
London, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

If you have no plans on seeing London until you get back, just book a cab from Heathrow to take you to Windsor. In 20 minutes you are there. You can stay within walking distance from the Castle.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

Hi,

Just to add to JoeInthe UK's post, I stayed at an airport hotel in Hayes late last year prior to leaving for my flight home. It took almost an hour at 6am to get to my terminal; admittedly I used the hoppa bus not a taxi. The perimeter road should not be underestimated.

Mentioned in this post
Hayes
Hayes
Greater London, UK
7. Re: Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 09:05
8. Re: Please help with 2 nights near Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 06:19