We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will the London Marathon affect tourist stuff?

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Will the London Marathon affect tourist stuff?

I will be in London for 5 days from this Thurs. afternoon through Wed. This will be my first time there and I have a lot planned. I just realized that the London Marathon is on Monday. Will that affect stuff in the city (aka: more traffic, musueums, etc., being closed)??? Also, with the Marathon going on, is a day off for many Londoners?

Strawberry Tours - Free Walking Tours London
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Fun London Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will the London Marathon affect tourist stuff?

I believe the London marathon will be on Sunday 21 April.

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will the London Marathon affect tourist stuff?

The English national saint is St George, whose Saint's Day is 23rd April, and there are various low key celebrations going on in connection with that and probably also in Trafalgar Square over Saturday and Sunday. The Marathon on SUNDAY won't affect any museums.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will the London Marathon affect tourist stuff?

Thanks!!

Hopefully London won't be too crowded on Sunday so I can still get some sightseeing done.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will the London Marathon affect tourist stuff?

The annual long-distance race starts from three different points in Greenwich Park and covers 26.2 miles. The biggest crowds of spectators gather at Tower Bridge and Embankment and the emotional finish of the Marathon takes place on the Mall in front of Buckingham Palace. This year the race runs around the newly restored Cutty Sark with good viewing points in Cutty Sark Gardens. The Greenwich Foot Tunnel (with new lifts) will be open.

5. Re: Will the London Marathon affect tourist stuff?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 05:17