We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help selecting an apartment

Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help selecting an apartment

Hello all! I have been lurking on this forum the last week or two gathering all sorts of helpful information about where to stay when I am in London in August. This is a bit of a last minute trip and I am finding that all of the best budget places are booked up. I've consulted TexScott's ever so helpful google docs on apartment rentals and have narrowed down to the following places. I would really appreciate it if you would weigh in on which you would select and why. I was trying to find places with two twin beds but that has been more difficult than I had hoped. Budget is also around 100-115 GBP a night. We are trying for nice neighborhood that doesn't require too much back and forth travel into the city. Thanks in advance for your help. I've found this forum so useful already.

Here are my options. I have send loads of homeaway inquiries over the past week but got few replies. I would happily take any other suggestions as well.

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p435739

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p414268

Castletown House:

castletownhouse.co.uk/short-stay-london-stud…

A bit more than I'd like to spend, The Rosebery

www.supercityuk.com/the-rosebery-studios.html

thelondonagent.com/London-Short-Let-Modern-B…

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help selecting an apartment

Difficult decision. The area of central London with all the theatres, main shopping streets, etc is called the West End and easiest access to that is probably from the last one in an area called Bloomsbury.

My second choice might be Castletown Road but I can quite easily see others having a different choice.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help selecting an apartment

The first two you list are both in the same building. It's a lovely old place; some of the people who live there have been in situ for years. It's got a big, sunny courtyard with a small garden and a clothesline where you may hang your laundry to dry if sunny days appear.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…stepneygreen-a4.pdf Stop H for the 25 and 205 to central London is about three minutes' walk; stop A just across the way. There is a newish Tesco Metro near stop A, but a much better option is the massive Sainsbury's much nearer the junction of Cambridge Heath Road and Whitechapel Road than it looks on this spider map: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…whitechapel-a4.pdf It's probably 10 minutes' walk from Cressy House.

There isn't a lift in the building, if that's an issue.

Rosebery Studio is very central, nearer Russell Square station than Goodge Street. Buses along Upper Woburn Place and Gower Street would make very good alternatives to the Underground: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…goodgestreet-a4.pdf tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/russ… and there is a great Waitrose at Brunswick Centre.

A stay in Stepney will mean more travelling but is budget-friendly; Rosebery Studio is certainly a more modern flat (which may appeal). Castletown House is a bit too far west for me, but the flats have been rated on this forum so if you're wiliing to travel they could be worth a go.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help selecting an apartment

The Byng Place flat is located in the center of Bloomsbury and based on its location would be high on my list.

The Byng Place apartment is a property by Acorn (their properties can be rather hit or miss because they are accommodations geared toward students), but that one seems to get decent reviews here: central-london-apartments.com/apartment-byng… and here: citybaseapartments.com/uk/london/byng-place-…

Here's the listing at Acorn acorn-london.co.uk/study-abroad/…

Edited: 16 April 2013, 22:40
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help selecting an apartment

What is your arrival date and how many nights are you staying? Did you look at the one bedrooms at http://tinyurl.com/cuvu3cp

They have twin beds and appear to have availability in August.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 22:53
Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help selecting an apartment

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like most of my choices are further out than I thought. I will keep looking. I'm just getting anxious as I'm traveling during such a popular time. I usually visit Europe during low season so this has been a bit of a shock. We will be in London 30July-5August. Thanks again.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help selecting an apartment

I did a quick look at https://www.airbnb.com.au/ which still has availability ... we use them all the time in Europe.

Edited: 17 April 2013, 03:05
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help selecting an apartment

The Byng Place really wouldn't be considered "far out". It's a university area, very close to the British Museum, near several tube stations. There are various Squares breaking up the scene and providing some greenery.

You would probably be able to walk to the theatre area/Covent Garden, to shopping, and some of the other usual destinations.

Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help selecting an apartment

Thank you again for your replies. I've spoken to my traveling companion and convinced her that airbnb doesn't necessarily mean we will be chopped up into little bits or scammed. As such, I have two new choices and have kept the Bloomsbury option from above. Any thoughts on these new options would be much appreciated. I've tried to map things out but wasn't certain if the 2nd or 3rd option was better. Thank you!

Original choice in Bloomsbury (potentially small and noisy but fantastic location)

thelondonagent.com/London-Short-Let-Modern-B…

airbnb option 1:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/972527

airbnb option 2:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/592621

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help selecting an apartment

I wonder if the first Air option is on the cramped size? Personally I would stick with Bloomsbury although there's certainly nothing wrong with Inverness Terrace.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help selecting an apartment

Not quite sure how you concluded from the answers you have had that Byng Place was not central or would be noisy.

Anyhow, in terms of location the two new ones would be fine. Popular area for tourists to stay. Loads of local shops, cafes etc and easy access to the West End and transport links across london