We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical homes

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Historical homes

I will be in England at the end of September.

I was really keen to see historical houses/castle outside of London.

The ones I look up eg Althorp, all seem to be closed by then.

Any suggestions of places that are open then would be welcome.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historical homes

I would recommend Blenheim Palace which is near Oxford. This will still be open.

blenheimpalace.com/thepalace/Visiting_Blenhe…

Also have a look at the National Trust website. They own several historical homes.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historical homes

Arundel is easy to get to

arundelcastle.org/_pages/03_visitor_info.htm

Eltham Palace, a palace with history back to Henry VIII and renovated in the art deco style, is easy to get to

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/e…

Hever, the childhood home of Anne Boleyn, is easy to get to although I had to walk about a 1/2 hour to get there, I understand you can also get a taxi from a different station

http://www.hevercastle.co.uk/

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Historical homes

Two really lovely old manor homes that I have visited outside London are "Montacute" and "Cotehele". I may have the spellings inaccurate but google them and take a look.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 03:04
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,625 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historical homes

I thought that most of the houses were closed in October, but still open in September.

Polesden Lacey is another, beautiful home--open in September, perhaps on a more limited schedule.

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/polesden-lacey/

For Castles/Palaces, you can visit Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace, both about 30 minutes train journey.

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Edited: 18 April 2013, 04:13
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historical homes

Hello! Cotehele previously mentioned is a NT property, very old and beautiful in a lovely riverside location. Unfortunately it's on the Tamar Valley, the Devon/Cornwall border and not day trippable from London- but well worth seeking out if you are in theSouth West.

Suggest you look on the National Trust website for lots of lovely places, all f whichshould be open in September

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Historical homes

None of the major stately homes now mainly given over to being visited closes as early as September.

A couple of uninteresting places - like Althorp and Highclere - remain essentially private houses, forced temporarily into very limited visiting periods because of some media hype or other. They must be the ones you've been looking at

The most heavily visited stately homes - like Chatsworth, Blenheim or Castle Howard - haven't joined the National Trust system and the most popular are open at least 10 months of the year: a list of them is at http://www.hha.org.uk/.

Otherwise, the National Trust is your friend. Most of their inhabited properties are visitable at least March-October, and usually a month or two longer

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,911 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Historical homes

www.hatfield-house.co.uk/content.asp… Times & Prices

Hatfield House is open until 29 September.

You can get a train from central London to Hatfield and the gates to the driveway are close by.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,861 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Historical homes

Go to the National Trust and English Heritage websites as they will have oodles of homes that will be open in September.

See if your local heritage organisation has any deals with either or both of the above so you can get reduced or free entry.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Historical homes

Hi Cynthia - if you are an Australian National Trust member - the British National Trust recognises & reciprocates the membership - afaik English Heritage doesn't have a reciprocal agreement. (I have been looking into it for my upcoming Sept - Oct trip)

Hope you have a great trip

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Historical homes

Houghton Hall in Norfolk has an exhibition of paintings on loan from St Petersburg until 29th September

http://houghtonhall.com/index.php/news-events

It's quite close to the Queen's estate at Sandringham so you could combine the two. It's probably too far from London to do comfortably without an overnight stay though.