We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - confused about transportation

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nuremberg
Level Contributor
188 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help - confused about transportation

Okay, I now have my itinerary mostly ready but am at a loss as to what would be the easiest/cheapest tickets for transportation. I am usually pretty good about this but somehow with 2-4-1, zones, Oyster, Rail Tickets, etc. I just don't get it. So if some of you experts could take a look at what we are planning to do and give me some hints on how best to manage this as far as fares/tickets are concerned I would very much appreciate it.

Again, I am travelling with two children (10 and 8). It seems they will be free for the most part but then there are exceptions (this is the first part I am having problems with)?

Here is what we are planning to do:

Day 1: We will either get a cab or a short tube ride from LHR to Jurys Inn, Heathrow

Day 2: Probably visit Hampton Court from Jurys Inn (Bus 111 best option?)

Day 3: Travel to Isle of Wight (probably via National Express from Heathrow)

Day 10: Travel from Isle of Wight to Waterloo and from there to Earl's Court. Later travel within zones 1/2 (so I think I would need Oyster or Travelcard for that day)

Day 11: Greenwich (so either adding on or Travelcard for Zones 1-4?)

Day 12: Travel within Zones 1-2

Day 13: Travel within Zones 1-2

Day 14: Travel within Zones 1-2

Day 15: Probably tube from Earls Court to LHR

Not sure whether 2-4-1 offer will make much sense for us with just one adult. We will have rail tickets from IOW to London for all of us but otherwise I think the kids don't need a ticket?

Help - I really have read various pages about this but just don't quite get it. All things being equal I would prefer just using a regular Travelcard that I get from a machine instead of fooling around with pictures, Oyster cards etc. Still, if the savings are worth it I would deal with it.

Thanks so much for any input.

11. Re: Help - confused about transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 06:16