We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

Hey everyone, I'm an American student currently studying abroad in Manchester for the semester. I've been going on trips around the UK during the weekends and have already visited a lot of places, but not yet London. I bought a ticket to see King Lear at the Globe in mid-May, so I decided to center my London trip around that. I'll have 5 days in London, with the last day mostly all taken up by the show. My plan is to spend the first 3 days exploring London, and then use the 4th day to take a day trip. My preferences are beautiful areas of nature, mountains, lakes, coasts, beaches, etc. Transportation by train or bus is a must, as I won't have a car. Do you have any suggestions? My favorite place in the world so far is the Lake District, if you want to get a feel for the places I enjoy.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

Hi Jon again,

Nothing like the Lake District anywhere near London.

For a daytrip where you want to walk as much as possible I would suggest in the west, Virginia Water or Burnham Beeches. In the east Epping Forest.

You could go further west to Lambourn Downs.

There are lots of other places that people will suggest but remember the further you travel, the less walking you will get in!

Bob

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

Brighton for the coast - easy to get to by train from London. There's a lot of nice parks in London itself including Hyde park with lake and Hampstead heath with lido's.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

Brighton is realy built up. There is a beach, but I wouldn't say it constitutes a "beautiful area of nature". The more beautiful/seculeded beaches won't be accessible by public transport. You could try somewhere like Camber Sands, but that's a train + infrequent bus

Epping Forest is a good call, and it's on the tube so relatively cheap to get to. You might also investigate the South Downs, which are rolling hills with good hiking.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

Hello!

One possibility might be the Ashridge Forest and Chiltern escarpment - find it on a map between Aylesbury and Dunstable, north of London. It's a beautiful area with lovely views over the plain of Aylesbury. At this time of year much of it is carpeted with bluebells. Get a train from Euston to Tring, about 40 minutes, then walk about a mile to the pretty, old, village of Aldbury (which still has its original ancient stocks, a very unusual sight) which nestles at the foot of the escarpment right next to one edge of the forest. Use your map to plan a route, but try to include Ashridge monument in the middle of the forest, and Ivinghoe Beacon on the edge of the escarpment as both give wonderful views. Then return to Tring, or plan a route back via Berkhamstead station

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

How about getting the train to Brighton and then the Bus to Devils Dyke - you can then return to Brighton and sample it's many attractions before getting an evening train back to London

nationaltrust.org.uk/devils-dyke/…

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

How far do you want to go? Within the greater London area there are Hampstead, Greenwich and (my pick) the Kew/Richmond area. Further afield, there are the South Downs, as mentioned, or the Chilterns. You could perhaps walk part of the Ridgeway trail - http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway/

Alternatively, Cambridge makes a reasonable day trip from London, and a very substantial contrast from the teaching environment at Manchester!

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

Hastings Country Park is easily reachable from London by public transport - (under and hour and a half from London to Hastings - short ride on a funicular railway and your there) and is a one of the most spectacular stretches of coastline anywhere in the UK (yet surprisingly untoruisty), comprised of sandstone cliffs, with lovely valleys and glens, covered in ferns, flowering gorse, wild flowers woodland and secluded coves with hidden beaches. There are also lakes waterfalls and interesting rock formations and stunning views - on a clear day you can see france, the white cliffs of dover and the seven sisters. The most spectacular views are above fairlight glen when the thorn bushes stretching from the cliffs to the sea look almost tropical on a sunny day (an abit like scotland on a grey one - on the way back you can great nice views of the the higgeldy piggledy rooftops churches and twittens and medieval cottages of the old Hastings and the old fishing harbour. All this and highland cattle too! Some pictures here: friendsofhastingscountrypark.org/photos.html

Essex
Level Contributor
28,832 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

There are some options here.

The info and suggestions for Epping Forest (see it is mentioned above) are good ones.

Also look at "Constable Country" and Cressing Temple Barns...

beenthere-donethat.org.uk/londondaytrips.html

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,234 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

South Downs Way

http://www.southdownsway.co.uk/

The Seven Sisters...

http://www.sevensisters.org.uk/

The Chilterns...

chilternsaonb.org/explore-enjoy/walks-rides/…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beautiful areas of nature, day trip from London

<< Nothing like the Lake District anywhere near London. >>

Except perhaps Croydon

itv.com/news/…