We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for car hire from Heathrow or alternative

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for car hire from Heathrow or alternative

I am looking for advice from those that have experience about the best options for car hire. I have done considerable searching on TA and through Google and am still not sure what to do. Even made a booking but then cancelled within the hour when I saw some horror reviews about atrocious customer service and fraudulant practices to fleece customers.

Our travel party will be 2 adults and 3 older children so I am looking for a family size estate car. My preference being a Ford Mondeo mainly due to the width of its rear seat and luggage storage capacity. Manual or auto is fine, but auto would allow my wife to share some of the driving. I would prefer to have a Full to Full petrol policy as this seems fairer than the full to empty practice that forces you to pay for a full tank of petrol at exhorbitant prices. Our travel insurance covers us for car hire excess costs, so I will not be taking the car hire companies rip off excess insurance.

We are arriving at LHR at 6am on a Tuesday morning in September 2013. Our itinerary is to head to Andover for breakfast and a break and then down to Bovington for the day. In the afternoon heading up to Monckton Combe near Bath. As a full time bus driver I understand the need to get rest on the plane and take plenty of breaks during the drive. From there we will spend a couple of days in the Cotswolds before going up to Derbyshire for a week and then down to Cambridge for 2 days and then finally to Wimbeldon for 4 days arriving on a Sunday late afternoon. So would likely return the car on the Monday morning.

I notice that the biggest selection of vehicles is at LHR but that there is also Location/Airport surchages built into the hire cost even though most depots are technically outside the airport. So my questions are;

1. Who are the best ranked car hire companies when the priority is good customer service and honesty, that don't use shonky practices to fleece customers?

2. Is there a feasible way to avoid the LHR surcharge? (eg Pick up Earls Court, drop off Waterloo or Wimbeldon)?

3. Why doesn't Tripadvisor rank Car Hire like they do Hotels, Restaurants and Attractions so we can see from a user perspective who provides the best service? It is after all an integral part of travelling. (I have booked most of my accommodation based upon who ranked well in the TA reviews.

Regarding budget I always want to get value for $$ spent but expect to pay somewhere between 300-700 pound for the 13 day hire.

Thank you for any advice that can be provided.

Kerry.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for car hire from Heathrow or alternative

all good questions

but nobody can answer

you are arriving out of hours so Heathrow is the only choice

every airport in Australia has the same premium scam

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for car hire from Heathrow or alternative

Most of the 'big' hire companies have their compounds on the Heathrow perimeter road which is part of Heathrow, so no you can't avoid the charge if you want to pick up conveniently close to the airport.

Yes, you could pick up away from the airport but how much is the tube fare going to be? This is likely to be more than the airport fee and you are going to waste time.

Sometimes over thinking everything can end up costing more time and money. Good luck I hope you sort it.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for car hire from Heathrow or alternative

Yes you are right. I am leaning towards Kendalls car hire. They have depots off site but have a Heathrow meet and greet for only a few pounds more. I have mostly found good reviews about them.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for car hire from Heathrow or alternative

Incidentally,

I've used Kendalls car hire in Camberley, and they've always been reputable.

5. Re: Recommendations for car hire from Heathrow or alternative

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 05:17