We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

Hi.

I'm arriving from New York to Heathrow T4 at 10.10am and ideally are looking to catch a train at 1.45pm from Kings Cross.

Does anyone know how long would it take to get through passport control and wait for my luggage?

I'll be catching the tube to KC which takes just over an hour so I need to know how much spare time I will have to allow for delays etc.

I'm a UK citizen.

Cheers

W.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,644 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

T4 at that time of the morning is usually fairly quiet so as long as your flight lands on time then you should be landside inside one hour and have no problem in reaching Kings Cross in time for your train...and some lunch!

But I stress usually!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

Do you have dual nationality ? If u have american passport and UK passport always use your Uk passport when entering UK as it will reduce your time thru border control. Also avoid taking anything you will have to declare at customs as this will also slow u down, Get your luggage and run like hell to border control and good luck,

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

Please don't take much notice of #2 as it is incorrect. The OP clearly states that s/he is a UK citizen, and border control is before luggage reclaim.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

For your information brittraveler I too am a British Citizen and entitled to Dual Nationality. I let my british passport lapse so only now have an Australian passport. I have been to UK 4 times in the past few years and travelled on my Aussie passport. I thus had to go thru the NON BRITISH CITIZEN border control.My aussie passport states I was born in UK but this means nothing to border control as it does not prove i am a british citizen. If you do not have your british passport or a certificate of british citzenship on you then you will be treated like a other country citizen. All this information I got from the British consulate website. I suggest you do your research before you make comments which may confuse people.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

Philpara. The signs at passport control clearly state ' UK / EU passports' so very little room for confusion I would have thought. If you don't have one then you need to join the other queue, whoever you are and wherever you were born. It's really not a big deal, and baggage reclaim is after passport control so absolutely no need to grab your luggage and run anywhere.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,644 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

I can only assume that Philpara means to suggest that you grab your carry-ons and then proceed at pace to border control on the grounds that this will save time.

Trust me, it doesn't. Heathrow is such a busy airport that there will be lines pretty much all of the day. You might save a few minutes by rushing around and (potentially) barging others out of the way but that is all it will be...minutes.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

If you have one of the newish British passports with a chip, there is a shorter queue can go through.

I haven't tried it as I have an old style UK passport, but my daughter has the new sort and said she got through passport control this Friday in about 5 minutes.

Edited: 28 April 2013, 09:13
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

Whether the "Iris recognition" queue is quicker depends on whether the incoming aircraft has mainly UK citizens with new passports or older ones. I have also got through in about 5 mins but I have also queued where the "old" passport queues went faster. This was Gatwick however.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

IRIS has been retired. EU/EEA biometric passport holders may, at some airports, use the e-Gates. However, due to people being unfamiliar with how to use them, I've found that the queue is often slower...

Philpara - why not just renew your British passport? For the purposes of border control, if you use your Australian passport to enter the country you will be (correctly) treated as a foreign citizen.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting through passport control at Heathrow T4

Thats exactly my point brittraveller. If you are a uk citizen/dual nationality and you dont have your british passport as in my case an australian passport then you will have to go to the other nationalities queue which will slow you down as they will then ask all sorts of questions. In the uk/eeu queue you still sail thru. Thats what I was trying to explain to wookieman, if he has two passports then use his uk one. My original statement is correct not wrong as you imply . I can read the signs just as well as you can, thank you very much. Also it does not matter where you collect your baggage if you have anything to declare then again it will slown you down. Also if i am running late i will run wherever I want too. [slight temper tantrum scene] End of subject.

ps.

Darrenmcc. I have often considered renewing my british passport but as I have no intention of residing or having an extended stay in UK plus the cost [myself and my wife] I never bothered. I know I am probably being stupid but it makes one feel strange having to line up in the foreign passport line everytime I visit beautiful britain. I used to always have a british passport only before the Australian govt had a crackdown and said if i did not get aussie citizenship/passport then next time I left aussieland they might not let me back in. Australias head of state is the Queen and we have a governor general who represents the Queen here and yet Australians are treated as foreign nationals in the UK. Strange isnt it