We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

Next Saturday afternoon, I am planning on heading from London Victoria to Windsor & Eton Riverside. From the routes that I have found, that would involve changing trains at Clapham Junction.

We are heading to Windsor Castle for the afternoon, and saw on the South West Train website that they offer discounted tickets to Windsor Castle when combined with rail fare.

I was comparing timetables on their website with the London Midland website, and it seems like the times are the same from Clapham Junction, and am confused - am I looking at timetables for the same trains even though it is posted on different companies' websites?

Would I be able to purchase the complete package (Victoria -> Clapham Junction -> Windsor return trip and Windsor Castle admission) at the London Victoria station, or will I need to use my Oyster card for Victoria -> Clapham Junction return and then purchase the next package separately?

Is it possible that they sell out of the discounted Windsor tickets included in this package?

Any help/clarification of the best way to go about doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 18:28
Buckingham Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Eltham Palace and Gardens
Architectural Buildings, Castles, Scenic Walking Areas
Kensington Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Severndroog Castle
Castles, Points of Interest & Landmarks
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

I have never had occasion to travel from Victoria to Windsor--usually I use Paddington.

This is a special offer only available through Southwest trains. Here are the details of the offer:

southwesttrains.co.uk/…118301

And here are the train times out of Victoria on Southwest. So in theory, you should be able to do this.

…southwesttrains.co.uk/combinedmatrix.aspx…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

Laura I hate to disagree with you but you may be wrong - SWT's site clearly states "You can buy combined rail and entry tickets from our Customer Service Centre or from *any* staffed train station." (emphasis mine). So the ticket can be bought at Victoria, as long as the deal is specifically requested.

Lightning, the reason you can see this journey on London Midland's site is because all UK franchised train operating companies are obliged to sell each other's tickets, and they all share timetable information. It doesn't matter who sells you the ticket, what matters is any restrictions on the ticket.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
526 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

I am reading this in conjunction with your previous post about walking to Victoria station after the changing of the guards, so my apologies if I'm putting two and two together to make five.

If you are starting at Buckingham Palace, I would walk to Waterloo (20 mins) instead of Victoria (10 minutes), which is where the Windsor & Eton train starts. That way you don't have up to half an hour to wait for a connection (depending on what time you arrive at Clapham Junction - the trains are every half hour, so if you just miss one it makes your journey much longer).

Either way, you should be able to buy tickets straight through. And no, there isn't a limit on the number of discount entries on offer.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

darren, I think we are in agreement--you can buy the combination ticket (and I say that in my post) from any manned station *where southwest trains operate.*

It isn't something you can buy at Paddington, for example.

I do think it would save time to go via Waterloo, if the OP is closer to that station--have not seen an itinerary to suggest this.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
526 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

I'm making an assumption there - in a previous post the OP asked how to get to Victoria from Buckingham Palace. I agree that it depends where he is starting.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

You are absolutely correct in that I am heading there from Buckingham Palace.

I will look into going to Waterloo station instead - thanks for the suggestion. However, wouldn't that mean I could end up getting to Waterloo to find that I just missed a train and have a 30 minute wait? Although I guess it would mean that I wouldn't have to worry about transferring trains in Clapham Junction.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

So would I be able to purchase the discounted Windsor tickets at Waterloo station?

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

Waterloo is a better plac e to wait up to half an hour than Clapham Junction.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

>>darren, I think we are in agreement--you can buy the combination ticket (and I say that in my post) from any manned station *where southwest trains operate.*<<

I don't think you are. SWT's website does not say "any manned station where Southwest Trains operate", it says "any manned station". Now to me, and obviously Darren, that means what it says, ie ANY station. So I see no reason why you could not go the ticket office at Paddington, or any other non-SWT station, and request this offer. No doubt the train ticket that one receives requires one to actually travel on the SWT route though.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 21:12
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria to Windsor - Discount Tix/Train Company Confusion

I'm pretty sure the ticket will be from 'London Terminals' rather than specifically Waterloo or Victoria. It will be an add on to the normal fare (valid from either station) to Windsor and Eton Riverside