We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

Hello all,

I am planning on being in London during at least one of the British and Irish Lions' Tests this summer. We'll be staying in the west end, Fitzrovia/SOHO/Oxford Circus area but I am not wedded to staying in that end of town. Looking for a place where I can have a pint with a true rugby crowd. I played and ref'ed rugby at a high level and I'm not just looking for a telley close by. The Pubs down near Twickenham would be perfect, but for the ride down there. Looking to stay a bit more cerntral to London. I'm American so I really don't have a "dog in the fight" so to speak, so an Aussie hangout will do just as well as a British one. (I will be supporting the Lions, though. Would that be like wearing a Yankee ball cap to Fenway Park?) Any help is greatly welcome. Thanks. Go Lions!

Tommy L.

Columbus, Ohio

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

The Porterhouse in Covent Garden is where we always head if watching the rugby in town. It's a big pub with lots of screens dotted around so you can always get a view, and there's usually a good crowd.

porterhousebrewco.com/bars-london-coventgard…

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

Given your background why not contact a local rugby club to see if they'd be happy for you to come along and watch in the clubhouse. If you contact the club secretary or one of the members on their forums then I'm sure they would be delighted to invite you along. I would try either Blackheath RFC or London Welsh RFC. Both Richmond and Blackheath are only a 20-25 minute train ride from central London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
545 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

Come out to West London, & join me at Ealing Trailfinders RFC!!

Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

Thanks for the reply. The Porterhouse looks like a very large pub with an astounding selection of beers and ales. Although the reviews are mixed, it does seem to get a large crowd for the Six Nations. The Covent Garden area works well as my wife and daughter can spend the time shopping and watching street buskers. Thanks for your help.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

Bear in mind the time difference. There may not be too many shops open for your wife and daughter at the times that, in London time, the games are played in Austalia - they will have their hotel beds.

Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

Thank you for the advice. The thought did cross my mind of contacting a local club and joining them. I have spent time previously with fellow ref's from the London Society. But I've been out of the game as a player and ref since the last surgery (5 years ago) and have lost contact with any acquaintenances in the area. As I recall, most clubs in central London do not usually maintain a club house but rather have their socials at a local pub. I'll follow up and send a couple of Emails and see what can be arranged. Thanks, again.

Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

Yes, good advice on the time difference. I can remember watching the 2003 World Cup final from Australia in a pub in Ohio. Kickoff was 4:00 AM, EST. The pub could not even "legally" serve alcohol until the game went in to overtime. We made appropriate arrangements, of course.

Looks like the tests will kickoff at 11:00 AM, GMT. Too early for my teenager to be awake, but good enough for the rest of us.

Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

Wow! An invite! That is so kind. Thank you. Let me make sure the travel times work for the rest of the party and will get a plan together to come out. I see from your web site that the first XV had quite the season. Well done!

I will post back when the time gets closer to my trip. Right now, it looks like I will be be in London towards the end of the Tour. At the very least, the final Test. Travel plans are still being worked out. More to follow.

Thanks!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,482 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

When my son lived in Barnes we used walk up to Rosslyn Park and were always made most welcome.

To get there take a District Line tube to East Putney and then the 337 bus over.

www.rosslynpark.co.uk/

10. Re: Best Place to watch a Lions' Test Match in London, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 11:35