We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

Me and my 22 year old daughter will be visiting the UK this June/July for 38 days.We are unsure what the itinary should be.I had decided against expensive coach tours of Ireland & Scotland & focus mostly on London, 1 night stay in Paris,Edinburgh,Lake District.Most time out offers do not accept foreign postal address & i managed to book & paid for a couple of guided tours from Malaysia. The budget is not very generous but we are willing to pay for memorable events,that may include a night stay in say a hotel near Kew Garden that will enable us to have a full day at Kew Gdn without having to travel from our host home in Highgate.

Also unsure of what type of travel pass &/ oyster card &/railcard to purchase for the entire stay

How should we plan the itinary? I suppose only then I can proceed to book train tickets out of London.

Will it be safe for me (a 57 year old ) & my 22 year old daughter to take the Eurostar train from Kings Cross to Nord du Gare station in Paris, check into a hotel that is near to the Museums,etc and leave the next day to reach Kings Cross by say 10 ish pm

Am aware of the 100 amazing things to do in London .What order should we proceed to visit all the site?

So much for the time being,; my head is spinning

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO THE COMMUNITY

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

London and Paris are both safe cities. If I was taking a trip to Paris on Eurostar for a brief visit I would stay 2 nights to give myself a chance of seeing it a bit more. One night is too much of a rush. And the same is true of Edinburgh.

If you are staying in Highgate you do not need to move hotels to see Kew Gardens. The underground train system will get you to Kew in less then an hour and you will have no problem having plenty of time to enjoy the gardens

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

You say you are coming for 38 days? Is this correct? If you are here for that long you will be able to see lots of places

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

thank you so much for the advice. I was thinking that i could save half an hour each way and spend the extra hour at the Kew.Also give us a chance to stay in a mid size reasonably priced hotel. What about us staying a night at a hotel around Battersea Barge to enable us to get back safely from the late entertainment?What time does the last train run on the Tube? Safe to travel past 10 ish pm?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

Yes, 38 days .How do I begin to plan for the 38 days?Please heip

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

Give us an idea of things that are likely to appeal to you both. Is it the UK history, countryside, an experience of life as it is lived here, Royalty, museums, gardens?

You have a reasonable amount of time with about 5 weeks, give or take. The temptation is to try and 'see' as much as possible, but the danger is that you'll be on a whirlwind tour that you'll 'look' at everything but see very little.......

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

The tube system runs till past midnight and you can get home easily and safely to anywhere in the London area. Londoners go to the theatre or cinema or concerts that finish mostly about 10 pm or 10.30 pm and the trains get them home without any problem.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

Wow, 38 days!

Well, the first thing I would do is allocate more time to Paris, Edinburgh and the Lake District, all places I could happily spend a week in (I'm not suggesting you do the same, but three or four nights would give you a better experience of each place than an overnight).

Beyond that you probably don't need to do much planning, as there is plenty in London to occupy you and it is easy to make day trips to towns and cities surrounding London without needing to pre-plan. And presumably you will want to spend some time with your generous hosts? Allow some time to be spontaneous.

There may be '100 amazing things' in London, but you don't have to see them all - just pick what interests you.

Oh, and don't uproot to a hotel to visit Kew Gardens, there is no need.

The Underground runs from 05.30 until past midnight, and is safe - all stations are staffed and there is CCTV everywhere, including on trains. Pickpockets can be foiled by taking reasonable care of your belongings. Crimes against the person are rare.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 09:40
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

We are interested in all of the mentioned, although my daughter thinks Lake District may be boring for her.How do we start to plan?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

Thank you for the infor . We still have to budget for the 10 min (fast walk) walk back to the host home in Arnos Grove from the station.

Any other advices ?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Me and my daughter will be visiting London this June/July.We

Joy,

Thank you for posting your question on your own thread. :-)

For a stay of 38 days, if the vast majority of your time will be spent in London, consider getting a monthly travelcard/season ticket for your time in London. Highgate is in zone 3, so a monthly season ticket for zones 1-3 costs £136.80 each. Seven day travelcards (of which you may need up to five) cost £35.60 each. You'll need to work out out which works best given your planned schedule. Both monthly and seven day travelards can be purchased either on Oyster, or on paper from a National Rail station.

If you buy your travelcards on paper from a National Rail station you can also take advantage of the 2 for 1 offers from daysoutguide, which could save the two of you big bucks at the attractions. Though, with such a long stay, IF it turns out better for you both to use Oyster for transport, let us know, as we can help you with other tickets (decoy returns folks) than would still get you the benefits of 2 for 1 - http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london