We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

Hi there, coming to London in 3 weeks. Have booked Sunday lunch at Claridges at 2pm. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we could spend the morning? I was thinking perhaps the Shard but unsure if Clardiges would be easy to get to from that. Please help!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

Very easy - Jubilee line from London Bridge to Bond St, no changes.

Trouble is the Shard is rather weather dependent (today is wonderful, who knows what it will be like in 3 weeks?). Possibly decide nearer the time?

Other than that depends on your interests. There's certainly plenty to do from streetmarkets to guided/self guided walks to musuems/galleries.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,764 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

The Wallace Collection is not too far away, and is open on Sundays opens 10am

http://www.wallacecollection.org/

The Royal Academy is in striking distance

http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/

If it is a nice day, though, why not a morning stroll in Hyde Park??

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

The Shard is at the opposite end of central London from Claridges. You can get from one to the other by tube (Jubilee line from London Bridge to either Bond Street or Green Park).

My suggestion (based on my own interests) would be art: the Royal Academy is almost around the corner from Claridges, but it is one of the few art galleries in London that charges for admission. The National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery are a reasonable stroll or bus ride away or the Wallace, from which you would have to walk or take a taxi (it is the same distance from Bond Street as Claridges, but in the opposite direction).

You probably know this, but for tea at 2, have a light breakfast and skip lunch. Tea at Claridges is lovely. Enjoy!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,764 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

I dare say that Sunday Lunch at Claridges is also well worth the effort, eh?

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

Thanks for all the advice but I got that completely wrong - it is the Savoy we are going to! Any suggestions based on this please? Not into art but open to most other things!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

If you went to the Shard you could get the RV1 bus (from Tooley St) to the north end of Waterloo Bridge, the Savoy is round the corner in the Strand), or just walk along the South Bank.

rather than play 20 questions trying to figure out what you do like doing, why not look at a guide book and or Time Out nearer the time, Covent Garden is very near, you could potter round there.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,764 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

London Transport Museum is walkable distance to the Savoy, but just look at a map of London and you will soon find something worth doing.

How about a morning River Trip?

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

The transport museum sounds like a winner to me, thanks so much everyone!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,764 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip advice - something to do on a Sunday morning

Given that most shops in London do not open until noon on Sundays, I suspect Covent Garden will be fairly quiet until then. Transport museum or wandering along the Thames (assuming the weather co-operates) would be more fruitful.