We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to UK

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gurgaon, Haryana...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to UK

Hello everyone,

Planning to visit London with my husband and 8 yr old son in May for 10 days. We arrive at Heathrow on 18th evening and are booked to stay at Hotel Holiday Inn at Heathrow.

During the first three days, I plan to visit all the major attractions with the original London tour (Day 01), Windsor Castle and LEGOLAND (day 02), Spend the day strolling around, have a picnic and watch the lion king show in the evening (day 03).

In the next six days, we would like to do day trips to Bath and Stonehenge, spend 1/2 nights at Cotswolds, visit Lake District (spend 1/2 nights) and also squeeze in Edinburgh if possible!!!!

I would like help with the following:

a. We are planning to hire a car instead of booking ourselves on day tours. Is it possible to visit Bath and Stonehenge by car and arrive at Cotswolds in the evening or maybe late evening the same day, spend 1 or 2 days there and return? or should we do Bath & Stonehenge together and make a separate trip to Cotswolds? How much time should we spend at Cotswolds? Also need recommendations for a hotel at Cotswolds.

b.How do we get to Lake District from Heathrow? Should we drive down or take the train? Also need hotel recommendations.

c. We don't want to pack in too much on this trip....want to be able to stop and enjoy the sights rather than just be in a rush all the time....hence not taking any booked tours. Should we go to Edinburgh or not? If yes, how to get there from Heathrow....would like to take the train if possible!

d. Have heard a lot about Bicester village...how to get there from Heathrow?

e. Is my son (8yrs) too old for LEGOLAND?Should we do Alton Towers instead?

Desperately need advice/suggestions to plan this trip....visiting UK for the first time and totally clueless!!! Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip to UK

Fair enough :-)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip to UK

Yes, but the 8 year old, sat in the back, playing on an ipad and not able to see a lot, will remember this as 'the holiday in a hire car'.

13. Re: Trip to UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 15:26
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,426 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip to UK

Look darling, more traffic on the M4!!

15. Re: Trip to UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 15:26
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,426 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Trip to UK

I think you would be better off basing yourself in London for days 1-3. Getting in and out of London from Heathrow will be quite the slog. Getting to Windsor from Heathrow will be about an hour by bus, or 20 minutes if you pay for a cab. (pre-booked)

I agree with previous comments that Legoland and Windsor should be done separately.

I would choose one area to visit--i.e. the Cotswolds, *or* the Lake District *or* Edinburgh so that you can actually enjoy being there. The drive to the Lake district from the London area is not the most interesting, IMHO.

In any case, it may be better to map out your itinerary inclusive of travel times, so that you have a realistic sense of how long you actually have there. When you write Cotswolds 1/2 nights, I wonder whether you are appreciating that getting there on one day and leaving the next (on a one night stay) will give you little time to enjoy a large area.

Gurgaon, Haryana...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Trip to UK

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the advice and feedback. Will be of great help in planning this trip practically and with greater clarity. Thanks again. Will bother you guys again if I have more queries!!!!

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Trip to UK

To PoolLounger,

But poster themselves said "We don't want to pack in too much on this trip....want to be able to stop and enjoy the sights rather than just be in a rush all the time".

As their original itinerary stood they would be doing exactly the opposite.

And as this is their first visit to the UK they may think a trip up the M5 and M6 from Bath to the Lake District and Edinburgh may be quite pleasant, when most of us in the UK know it isn't.

Gurgaon, Haryana...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Trip to UK

Hi everyone,

We are planning to spend 2 nights in Cotswolds and 2 nights in Lake District . Would like recommendations for accomodation. (Travelling with an 8 yr old child).

We would like to stay in a farm or country house....is it practical to book these online...do they actually deliver what they advertise..or is it safer to stay in a hotel?

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Trip to UK

Staying on a farm is a nice idea. Try this website;

http://www.farmstay.co.uk/

Listings are by county, so for the Lake Distict you ned to look at Cumbria, and for the Cotswolds, this straddles a large area, but primarily the counties of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire

Edited: 02 May 2013, 14:15