We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

I apologize if this has already been covered -- I've read a lot of posts about the 2-4-1 offers, as well as the very helpful Tripadvisor article, and am still having trouble wrapping my brain around all the twists and turns and quirks.

My family will be in London in August for 7 nights. The 7-day travel card seems like our best option. We won't be taking public transport from the airport. We are staying near the St. James tube station in Westminster. There are only 3 attractions on the 2-4-1 offers that would work for us: St. Paul's, Churchill War Rooms, and Hampton Court. (Tower of London is not valid in August and I don't see Westminster Abbey listed at all.) We expect to use the Tube a lot. The only trains we will be taking are to Hampton Court and Watford Junction, but I think these are operated by South West and London Midland, not National Rail, so those journeys won't help us for the 2-4-1's, right? Here are my questions:

Is there is a difference in cost between a 7-day travel card purchased at a tube station vs. a 7-day paper travel card purchased at a rail station?

If I get paper travel cards at a rail station with the passport pictures, do these "scan" at the Tube turnstiles? Or do I have to get an attendant to open the gates every time as with the paper tickets (so the system won't "eat" the travel card)?

Is there a rail station in the Westminster area that sells the paper 7-day travel cards that is operated by National Rail (and therefore can sell me a travel card that will work for the 2-4-1)?

My husband is arriving a couple days later than the rest of us - can I buy him a paper 7-day travel card at the rail station if I have his passport size photo, or does he need to actually be there when it's purchased?

If I'm using the 2-4-1 vouchers, does that mean I have to wait in a long queue to buy tickets? I was planning on prebuying online to skip the ticket lines. Or do St. Paul's, Hampton Court, and Churchill War Rooms generally not have long lines in August?

And a related, probably stupid, question: do I actually buy the tickets and vouchers online on the DaysOut website (it says "add to cart,") or do I just register, print them, and show the voucher when I buy the tickets at the location?

Thanks SO much for your answers and patience.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

I can help out with the last question. You have to print out the vouchers from the Daysout website (for free). You have to show them at the venue along with a National Rail travelcard, valid for the day, or rail tickets to London with a return (though I think this will not apply in your case).

You cannot buy tickets in advance online, if you want to use the 2-4-1s.

I'm sure others will be along presently, to help with your other questions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

Is there is a difference in cost between a 7-day travel card purchased at a tube station vs. a 7-day paper travel card purchased at a rail station? --->> No price difference

If I get paper travel cards at a rail station with the passport pictures, do these "scan" at the Tube turnstiles? Or do I have to get an attendant to open the gates every time as with the paper tickets (so the system won't "eat" the travel card)? --->> You do not scan them. You insert them in the slot and they pop up from another slot. When you remove the ticket, the barriers open. No need for anyone to help you

Is there a rail station in the Westminster area that sells the paper 7-day travel cards that is operated by National Rail (and therefore can sell me a travel card that will work for the 2-4-1)? --->> Victoria, Charing Cross, Paddington and Waterloo are options. Depends where exactly you are.

My husband is arriving a couple days later than the rest of us - can I buy him a paper 7-day travel card at the rail station if I have his passport size photo, or does he need to actually be there when it's purchased? --->>> You can buy for him

If I'm using the 2-4-1 vouchers, does that mean I have to wait in a long queue to buy tickets? I was planning on prebuying online to skip the ticket lines. Or do St. Paul's, Hampton Court, and Churchill War Rooms generally not have long lines in August? --->> You cannot buy ahead. The only exception as far as I am aware are some theatre performances. I do think lines would be long at these places in any case.

And a related, probably stupid, question: do I actually buy the tickets and vouchers online on the DaysOut website (it says "add to cart,") or do I just register, print them, and show the voucher when I buy the tickets at the location? --->> Not sure about this one.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

You do not buy the entry tickets on the 2 for 1 site - you just print off the vouchers you want. In most if not all cases you don't get a dated voucher - it will be valid for several months usually so you don't have to commit to the dates in advance even if you have to specify one when registering

You buy the tickets when you get to the attraction, handing in your voucher and showing your rail tickets/travelcards

And there's no comeback if you don't use a particular voucher - no one will card

Edited: 24 April 2013, 19:59
London
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

<The only trains we will be taking are to Hampton Court and Watford Junction, but I think these are operated by South West and London Midland, not National Rail>

National Rail is simply an umbrella term which encompasses the various train companies, it's not an operator, so tickets from both those you mention would qualify for 2-for-1.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

>> Tower of London is not valid in August <<

Well spotted! I don't think that's been mentioned on here yet (unless my jet lag caused me to miss it). It's not valid from July 15 to September 8.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 05:20
Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

Thank you all so much for the answers - so very helpful! Really appreciate it!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

Good tip re Tower of London.. I hadn't picked up on that one yet either and I'm in London in Aug/Sept and *was* planning on using it then!!

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
84 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

I keep checking back on the 2for1 website on the slim chance they might change the date restrictions, but so far we're out of luck I'm afraid.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

If anyone could please post the link to the 2-for-1 discount website listing the valid attractions and dates,I would really appreciate it! I'm visiting London 4 September - 7 September, 3 adults and one child age 4, trying ot figure out how/if we can save on the London Eye.

The info about the Tower of London has already been very handy! Thanks to the OP and to all the helpful people here.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,016 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More 2-4-1 and travel card questions - sorry!

Mahack, this thread is really old. Please post your own qyestion by clicking on the orange "ask a question" link in the middle of the page.

And read this...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…