We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter In UK

Victoria Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Winter In UK

I am planning to go to England mid December and return late January. Being winter I realize many places will be closed and it will probably be cold and wet but I accept that with my timing. I have a week planned in London and week with a hire car in Cornwall/Devon, dates are still open. As I will still have about 4 weeks to travel I am open to suggestions of places to go. I am interested in history- particularly working or reconstructed villages, walking, small villages and would dearly love to try out a canal boat for a few day. I fear the latter will be cost and physically prohibitive for a single traveller. I also want to follow a tow path and sit at a pub. All those corny things we see on TV. I am a female travelling alone and will use public transport or if necessary, hire a car. Any suggestions for trips anywhere in UK at this time of year will be gratefully accepted.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,444 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Winter In UK

If you are in Cornwall & Devon why not travel upwards to make the most of your time.

There is a canal with lovely walks at Tiverton/Deovn and another Taunton-Bridgwater. The North Devon and West Somerset (Exmoor National Park) is full of little villages, ancient harbours and unusual little churches. The Village pubs will be open for meals and cafes & resturants. The shops will be gearing up for Christmas.

Dunster has a mediaval village and castle and in December hosts Dunster by candlelight where the water mill grinds corn by candlelight and there are singers, roasting chestnuts etc and the shops are open at night. It is a really good experience.

I will try and give some links tonight but you can check some of the villages if you have a look on my profile for Travel Articles.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Winter In UK

Claymoore do hire out if asked. I know them. They work regularly on our boat. A small boat can easily be handled with a bit of instruction. If the OP wants to give it a try then she should go for it. I speak as a female who knows many other women who also cruise solo.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,444 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Winter In UK

You might be able to hire a narrow boat in midwinter but it won't be much fun in the cold, wet & dark days. Trips by barge won't be running as there won't be enough customers. However the walks are good and you could meet the horses at Tiverton and see the barges. www.tivertoncanal.co.uk

Villages in North Devon - West Somerset for enjoying in winter :-

Lynmouth www.lynton-lynmouth-tourism.co.uk wonderful walks cliffs and wooded valleys, 19C cliff railway, tiny cinema showing latest films, thatched pub.

There are many villages within 5 miles of each other in the Exmoor National Park and National Trust Holnicote Estate, Porlock which has late night Christmas shopping event where the shops offer mulled wine and mince pies free http://tinyurl.com/bud3sj7 more general here tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186369-c159630/Som… it is on the coast.

The 14C thatched cottage tearooms at Bossington stays open till the week before christmas Christmas is decorated and boasts a log burner and comfy settees with lots homemade goodies including Victorian Christmas cake.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186369-c159342/Som…

Dunster tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186369-c158858/Som… the whole village is decorated, lit by candles and lanterns and the castle is floodlit. Dunster by Candlelight http://tinyurl.com/ce28cr4

This part of Exmoor is Dark Skies Designated for the clarity of visability of the stars.

In January there is Wassailing at the old pubs/orchards where and ancient tradition of singing to bring a good harvest and drinking hot mulled cider , warms up the winter days! Worth looking out for.

So yes there is a lot to see and do if you choose the right areas.

Perhaps you should take in a Pantomime when you're here. A good January British tradition ;-)

Edited: 25 April 2013, 21:19
Victoria Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Winter In UK

I'd like to thank all of you for your suggestions. I am looking forward to cosy fires and steamy pubs. I may give the narrow boating a miss for this trip after all. I thought I might be being a little too optomistic. I will definately be visiting some of the other sites suggested.

Thanks to everyone.

Ontario
Level Contributor
307 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Winter In UK

Cozy fires, and steamy pubs ... I love the image ... complete the picture with a few well-behaved dogs under the tables and I would find my "happy place".

One unexpected discovery, while on a January holiday to the UK, was that my scenery photos were sharper. I have mostly travelled throughout Great Britain/Ireland during the spring/early summer and have found that my photos always seemed disappointingly hazy on these trips. I think it must be because of the ever present moisture in the air - and perhaps it is less humid in the winter months --- can any photographers "clarify" this?

Talisa -- if you like history, you will enjoy driving through Dartmoor and spotting the remnants of Bronze and Iron Age settlements. I have travelled pretty much the length and breadth of the UK, and the West Country is my personal favourite area. I can imagine the driving could get a bit dicey should a winter snow storm hit ... but that would be the time to find a cozy, steam pub ....

My husband and I rented a 17th century cottage in Dartmoor a few years ago from an agency called Helpful Holidays. They specialized in the Devon/Cornwall area and we still get an online newsletter from them. They often offer special rates during the winter months. Our experience was very positive with them and I would recommend them if you are looking to spend a few days in one place and fan out from there.

Have a lovely holiday!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Winter In UK

You are much more likely to encounter heavy rain and possibly floods than snow.

It's not the cold that will kill you, it's the dark! It will be dark at 4pm, and often quite gloomy even before that. So any tourist attraction that says it closes 'at dusk' might mean quite early. We all go about our lives as normal on a pitch black afternoon (shops and other businesses open as normal) but be prepared. For example, if you are driving, much of your drive could be in the dark as well as ice.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Winter In UK

Hello! If you plan to come to Cornwall you may want to spend New Year in St Ives which has a very lively, fun, and popular street scene, with lots of fancy dress, that night. But you would need to book accommodation as soon as possible

18. Re: Winter In UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:19