We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Amsterdam

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
208 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
London to Amsterdam

I am traveling with my two teen daughters from London to Amsterdam (one way) this summer. I am trying to find the more efficient means of travel (We are staying in Islington). Cost is a consideration but convenience counts.

Flights cost about $55 pp (plus $20 for one checked bag (how strict is EasyJet?)), transport via train about $15 pp. Seems like Luton is most convenient airport. $70 sounds great as opposed to $110 for the Eurostar. However, if we take a cab to St Pancreas and hop on a train to Amsterdam, the convenience may be worth it (4 1/2 hours by train vs 1 hour to get to the airport, check in 1 1/2 hours early and fly for 1 1/2 hours). In addition, getting to Amsterdam City, which I have not yet checked out, may be easier from the train station vs the airport.

Ok, I am overwhelmed to please offer guidance!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,044 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Amsterdam

easyJet are very strict with respect to baggage size and/or weight rules for both checked and hand baggage. Add the cost of three train tickets from London St Pancras to Luton Airport station and, as you've mentioned, the time needed for travel to the airport, lead time, flying time, immigration, baggage collection and the 20 - 25 minute journey from Schiphol to Amsterdam Centraal, and the journey by rail may be slightly faster overall.

Depending on how much luggage you plan to take, the 30, 73 and 476 all travel from the Angel to St Pancras station: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…islington-angel.pdf Stop A is about two minutes' walk from Eurostar departures: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…kingscross.pdf

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Amsterdam

>> $70 sounds great as opposed to $110 for the Eurostar.<<

You're already getting ahead of yourself. You said $55 flight, $20 checked bag and $15 train to Luton. That's $90. And btw the train journey from St. Pancras to Luton Airport is £15 (pounds) which is more like $23. So you're now at $98 for the inconvenience of a flight on a low cost carrier vs relaxing on trains city center to city center (okay one change) with immigration checks being done before you board the train at St. Pancras, for just $12 more. And if flying you'd still need to pay for transport from Schipol to the center of Amsterdam.

Looks like a no brainer to me.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 06:06
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Amsterdam

The above is true, but keep in mind you'd also need to swich trains in Brussels. Will you take the Thalys? Oh and I love the Eurostar, gorgeous views(apart from in the tunnel obviously :) ), you can take two suitcases each and food&drinks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Amsterdam

$70 sounds great as opposed to $110 for the Eurostar.

------

it might do, but since its not the amount of money it would cost you to travel by plane, why do you mention it?

(This, BTW is one reason I suspect people often say "yeh I flew withacmecheap airlines, saved a lot compared with oldlegacyairline", they were seemingly absent from school during the lesson on adding numbers together)

You also don't need to take a cab to St Pancras, you could take the tube, which if you have travel passes, would be free, or if you have Oyster, would cost £2 or so each. If you have so much luggage a cab is necessary, then the answer to "how strict is Easyjet?" is "think of your strictest teacher at school seeming like a cute puppy dog in comparison"

London
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Amsterdam

BA have flights to AMS for £39 (hand bags only) and £48 (with 23kg checked bag). These go from Gatwick. Direct train from St Pancras, £10 rail fare. So I think LGW is a better bet for you than LTN. You do need to pay for a rail for from Schipol into the centre of Amsterdam but the fare is barely a handful of euros and trains are every few minutes.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Amsterdam

We just took Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam, and I'd do that over a flight any day. Seats are more comfortable, you can walk around, no security. Of course, you do have to be able to manage your luggage. We took 22" suitcases and a backpack and kept backpack at the seat and put suitcase in overhead rack.

AFAIK, Eurostar and Thalys both use Gare du Nord in Paris, so you could change there, although I don't know the benefit of there over Brussels (or the other way around). Since OrangeTigger is Dutch and a frequent visitor to London, I'd go with her advice.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Amsterdam

Hi BGTM Brussels is quicker then going to Paris, and there are direct Thalys from Brussels(I think it might be the one from Paris. However I live in the east of the Netherlands and have therefore never taken the Thalys.

I would not advice getting the regular train to Amsterdam though, at first it was cancelled and changed to a train which was more expensive&needed seat reservation(Fyra), then that one kept braking down and now there is a temparary solution which is less frequent then the first train so therefore I suspect more busy, so I would opt for the Thalys.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Amsterdam

I can't see the point in the flight at all - its just unnecessary hassle as you're already so close to St Pancras.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Amsterdam

I've heard there are sometimes problems with the trains being cancelled/breaking down. The day we went the train to Rotterdam (I think) that was supposed to leave at the same time as our Thalys to Amsterdam was cancelled and all those people were put on our train. Other than some seating confusion when we got on, it didn't affect us though.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Amsterdam

If you are not bothered about how long it takes there's a sail rail option:

stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland

Or even (supercheap) bus - eurolines or megabus