We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

We are a family of 4 on a quick lay over in London and will have all afternoon / night of one day to hit the major sights. We are staying at the Park Plaza County Hall at, 1 Addington St. and want to know what are MUST SEES during the few hours we have and what is the easiest ways to get to these stops. Do I need to buy any tickets etc. before we travel?

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

What time do you arrive and leave? And when? Where are you arriving and leaving from? Also, what does Kristen and her family want to see? Depending on what time you get in, many things might be closed. St. Paul's closes at 4pm, Westminster Abbey closes at 4.30 most days (7pm Weds and 2.30 Sat), Tower of London closes at 4.30 also. You might look into doing something like a hop on hop off bus tour to see a lot of the sites from a bus. You could also walk around the Westminster/Whitehall area to see things like Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace etc. The Park Plaza County Hall is very nicely located to across the river from Westminster, so it's easily reachable. You're also near the Southbank area, so you could stroll along the river for a nice view of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. St. Paul's is very near ToL, so you could check that out as well.

It will all mainly depend on what time you get in and have to leave.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

We arrive on Saturday June 15 at 11:15 am and will then need to gather our luggage and take a car service to our hotel. So, I am guessing we will not be ready to sight see until early / mid afternoon. From our location please tell me any MUST SEE's. Is the London Eye worth buying tickets to ride? If we want to see Buckingham palace can we walk or do we need to take a tube or cab? I think we want to see the place, London Bridge, Westminster Abbey?? This is our first and obviously very quick stop over (we fly out again the following morning). So, I just want to take our kids 10 and 12 to hit the highlights for the few hours we are there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Detailed info / instructions would be the most help since I am not familiar with the area or transportation options. Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

Palace not place.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

Only you can tell us what you MUST SEE. Get a guide book from the library to help you.

I very much doubt you want to see London Bridge. You want to see Tower Bridge I think (which is far away from all the other places you have mentioned).

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

Buckingham could be walking distance, depends on how far you like to walk. It's about a mile from your hotel to the Palace. Along the way, you'll go by Big Ben and Parliament, Westminster Abbey and through Whitehall.

Tower Bridge (it's the one you want to see, NOT London Bridge) is about a 2 mile walk in the opposite direction from your hotel. Right near Tower Bridge is the Tower of London, and about another mile from ToL (back towards you hotel) is St. Paul's Cathedral.

I don't know if any of these sights interest you, but they were some of my favorites while there.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

Here's a link showing bus routes from County Hall:

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…county-hall-a4.pdf

Take a bus (or walk) from your hotel across Westminster Bridge to Whitehall (Horse Guards). You'll pass Big Ben/Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. At Horse Guards you might be in time to catch the mounted guardsmen. You'll see Nelson's Column/Trafalgar Square up the road ahead. But turn left and walk between the guardsmen through the arch, then straight ahead through St James's Park to Buckingham Palace (don't, incidentally say you want to go to "Buckingham" without adding "Palace" - you risk being directed to a small town about 50 miles away). Facing Buckingham Palace, turn left and walk down Buckingham Palace Road to Victoria station. From there you can take the District or Circle Line tube eastbound to Tower Hill, for Tower Bridge and an outside view of the Tower of London. A boat trip back to Festival Pier would bring you back to the hotel (or you could go on to Westminster Pier and walk - or bus - back across the bridge). You're then in the right place for the London Eye which operates until late. The trip is worth it if the weather is clear. It stays light in the UK until 9pm in June.

There's endless advice about travel tickets on the forum. Unless you're really determined not to spend more than you need to, I'd suggest getting 1-day paper travel cards for 2 adults and 2 children from Waterloo National Rail station (just down the road from the hotel) befre you set off exploring. With the short time you have available, I'd suggest you don't bother with the complex rules that determine whether or not kids can travel free and don't bother either with plastic Oystercards sold in Tube stations which involve paying a deposit and getting a refund. You can find out more - much more - using "search".

Edited: 24 May 2013, 22:46
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

Sorry I just read the first sentence that "Buckingham could be walking distance."

But it's a very long walk (as it's between Oxford and Milton Keynes). I don't think you could do it in a day :p

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

Thank you all so much for your help!!! Thanks Sam Rothstein and Papluviose!!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

>>Sorry I just read the first sentence that "Buckingham could be walking distance."

But it's a very long walk (as it's between Oxford and Milton Keynes). I don't think you could do it in a day<<

Here we go again :p

Maybe you can point me towards Liverpool Station while you're at it!

10. Re: Sightseeing from Park Plaza County Hall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 05:15