We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distance question

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walking distance question

One of our days in London will include a visit to the Tower of London and a visit to St Paul's Cathedral. Is it very far to walk from the tower to the cathedral or is it more realistic to use bus or tube? We don't mind a fair bit of walking as we'll be trying to walk more to see more. My main concern is time. With lunch and walking time, will we be able to see both sights in a day?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking distance question

It's doable. You can use www.walkit.com to check distances.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking distance question

It's around half an hour's easy walk

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking distance question

walkit.com is very good but if it doesn't recognise the Tower of London put Tower Hill in as your starting point.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking distance question

Thanks Kennydon for the link. Very useful. And yes the Tower Hill location worked very well.

Thanks all.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
350 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking distance question

I'm not sure how much time it would add, maybe 30 minutes, but you might consider walking across the Tower Bridge and along the south bank. There's nothing like the bridge and you get a nice view of the Tower. Consider it if you're running ahead of schedule. I love walking along the Thames!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking distance question

Post no. Five has hit on a wonderful route. After you get from Tower Bridge on the south bank and travel west on a wonderful Thames-side walk, past the Globe Theatre, you get to the Tate Modern Museum, turn right over the silver Millennium Bridge for a great walk across to St Paul's. Lunch can be had along the way

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking distance question

Don't be surprised to hear the Millennium Bridge also referred to as the 'Wobbly Bridge'. It goes back to problems when it was first opened and the name just kinda stuck.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Bridge,_London

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking distance question

It's the Wibbly Wobbly bridge!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
350 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking distance question

30 seconds of Harry Potter and the Deathly Bridge:

http://youtu.be/vrX-xN45UE8

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking distance question

Very interesting looking bridge. I like the suggestion of the Millennium and how it brings you across the river straight to St Paul's. I plan on starting at the Tower of London as they open so the timing looks good for it.