We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sim card question - purchase and useage

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york city
Level Contributor
317 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
sim card question - purchase and useage

iphone 4s. need email and text - and the once in a while phone call. am torn between

a) wifi for email; skype for text? (ugh). not sure of skype phone rates.

b) unlocking the phone and buying a sim card in london. we're there for 10 days - i get a lot of emails. so 1) how much data do you think i would need? and b) is there a place that anyone knows where i can buy it near my hotel (since i hear that buying it at the airport is highway robbery). hilton metropole hotel.

thanks.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sim card question - purchase and useage

The Hilton Metropole is on Edgeware Road, which will have loads of mobile phone and electronics shops. There's a Phones4U and a Carphone Warehouse both in the Staples Corner Retail Park 100 yards from the hotel (not named after the Staples office product chain, although they have a branch there).

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sim card question - purchase and useage

If your phone is wi-fi enabled then use it in one of the many free wi-fi hotspots to down load your e-mails. Buy a local sim for use in UK and send a text to your key contacts back home with your UK mobile phone number.

new york city
Level Contributor
317 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sim card question - purchase and useage

dorky geeky question: so there's a sim card in my iphone...giving me a new number to make calls. how do i make the calls without automatically downloading email when it's enabled? do i have to turn my email off except to purposefully download by wifi? e.g., just always fiddle in settings?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sim card question - purchase and useage

Making phone calls has got nothing to do with email.

If you didnt get a SIM with data enabled, just voice and probably texts only, there wont be any email coming that route, and email will only come via wifi (which is nothing to do with the SIM)

If you dont want to get any email, simplest thing is to keep wifi off mostly, so its not really "fiddle in the settings" as its on the first screen in settings) and tun it on when you want it though no harm except to battery life to keep it on.

new york city
Level Contributor
317 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sim card question - purchase and useage

BRILLIANT! thanks. i didn't realize that i could get a sim card that just gave me phone and text and no data. i will do that.

LASTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT question...before I leave and go back to nyc....what do i do about the sim card now in my phone (so that it will work back in the us when it's locked again).

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sim card question - purchase and useage

You pop it out, keep it in a safe place until you go back to the U.K.

Snap in your old one. If you feel uncomfortable doing this, have your mobile phone company retail store do it for you. Or a 25 year old.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sim card question - purchase and useage

(so that it will work back in the us when it's locked again).

========

It wont be "locked again". Once your phone is unlocked, its unlocked. Your old SIM will still work whether its unlocked or locked. Indeed after its been unlocked, you should double check the original SIM still works before you come over, just in case the procedure screwed something up (very VERY unlikely).

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sim card question - purchase and useage

Just for the avoidance of doubt, that should have been

"Your old SIM will still work whether >>the phone<< is unlocked or locked"

9. Re: sim card question - purchase and useage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:18