We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this not possible or "safe"?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Is this not possible or "safe"?

When I say safe, please understand that I am used to walking through "interesting areas of Panama and New Orleans".

Walking from County Hall to :

Big Ben

Westminster Abbey

Buckingham Palace

Downing St

St. Paul's Cathedral,

Tower of London,

Ceremony of the Keys

We have about 7 hours from when we leave County Hall to when we arrive for the Ceremony of the Keys. We are in good walking condition; but, are open to all suggestions of recommended transportation

What is the recommended way to leave Ceremony of the Keys back to County Hall.

Again, thank you to everyone with their great posts and suggestions. They are much appreciated.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

I think London is one of the safest cities in the world as long as you stick to the tourists areas you'll find it packed with tourists even after dark.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Given that you have seven hours, you could even be a bit more ambitious. The walk that I like to do is along both banks of the river from Lambeth Bridge in the west to Tower Bridge in the east. That way you take in everything that you mentioned (taking some detours away from the river to see some of the main sights), plus others, such as Lambeth Palace, the memorial to the SOE, the London Eye, Southbank Centre, National Theatre, Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe, Golden Hinde, Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market, HMS Belfast, City Hall, and on the north bank you walk the full length of the City, from the border with the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in the east to the border with the City of Westminster in the west, with too many attractions to list, but including the College of Arms, the Unilever Building, and the Royal Courts of Justice, the Inns of Court, the Temple Church, and other legal buildings. At the Westminster end look out too for the new Supreme Court and Thames House.

As for safety, as pointed out already, you are looking at walking through the areas of London that are home to the royal family, government, legislature, judiciary and legal profession, civil service, armed forces, the Church of England, several embassies and high commissions, and the most important financial centre in the world, so the risk of any serious danger is small, verging on non-existent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Google maps reckons it would take about an hour to walk from Parliament to Tower Bridge if you go along the Thames and that sounds about right to me. It's a lovely walk if the weather co-operates but you can also get a bus (e.g. 11 up Whitehall and along the Strand or 15 along the Strand) for parts of it if you don't fancy walking the whole way.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

< What is the recommended way to leave Ceremony of the Keys back to County Hall. >

Take Tube from Tower Hill to Westminster, cross over bridge.

But to reiterate - if you intend visting any of those places rather than looking at them from outside then most will be closde before 6:00pm.

Central Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Thank you! Great advice!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Central London is extremely safe. I have no qualms being out on my own until the tubes stop as there are hordes of people and more policemen in a hundred yards than I ever see in the course of a year in my home town. You might get trampled to death by tour groups but the risk is small.

Central Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Thank you all. I will watch out for large tour groups! :-) Living in Orlando, we have become experts at that! ha!

I wasn't fearful, I just wanted to make sure I didn't wonder in a seedy area on our walk. We like taking in cities on foot so we can see things and stop when we want. Also a great way to combat vacation pounds!

In the 7 hours, we will have to also stop for lunch, dinner and I am sure snacks! Sounds like a lovely afternoon everyone has helped me plan.

I appreciate all the tips and advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Good - walking is definitely the best way to see central London.

I was once in Colon, Panama and was told by a shop keeper the safest way to cross a road and walk 20m to the free trade zone was to take a taxi as the area was too dangerous. You should though be safe in London.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,901 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

The RV1 from Tower Gateway will take you back to County Hall after the Ceremony of the Keys. It travels across Tower Bridge, a nice treat at night, and will drop you near the Eye, just steps from the PI and Marriott hotels. See spider map in post one.

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

I can't recommend www.walkit.com enough. It's excellent.