We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this not possible or "safe"?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Florida
Level Contributor
218 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Is this not possible or "safe"?

When I say safe, please understand that I am used to walking through "interesting areas of Panama and New Orleans".

Walking from County Hall to :

Big Ben

Westminster Abbey

Buckingham Palace

Downing St

St. Paul's Cathedral,

Tower of London,

Ceremony of the Keys

We have about 7 hours from when we leave County Hall to when we arrive for the Ceremony of the Keys. We are in good walking condition; but, are open to all suggestions of recommended transportation

What is the recommended way to leave Ceremony of the Keys back to County Hall.

Again, thank you to everyone with their great posts and suggestions. They are much appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Just as a mental exercise, I estimated how long it would take me to walk the exact itinerary mentioned in the original post, without stopping. It would be three and a half hours. Add two hours for meal and toilet breaks, and an hour for 20 three-minute stops to admire the views, and it can be done.

But I have to wonder how able I would be to enjoy the Ceremony of the Keys, after that.

-- Steve

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

I beg to differ. Anything can happen. There's muggings and robberies in broad daylight.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 23:46
Level Contributor
252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Generally, it is safe but use common sense. London is one huge metropolis with dense crowds. Hide the camera and wallet when travelling on the tube and walking in general.

You will be amazed how much ground you can cover when walking. You just need to be organised.

Level Contributor
252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

I would advise to take the tube to St Pauls/Tower of London.

I walk a decent pace and it takes me about 20 minutes to get from Waterloo station (just 5 minutes from County Hall) to St Paul's using the back roads of Southwark and crossing the Millenium Bridge. In fact, walk along the river. It will take about 30 minutes since the river bends away from County Hall to St Paul's.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,352 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Nice walk.

Come and enjoy.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Aman R @22.

You are just plain wrong - London is safe.

In March 2013 there were at Piccadilly Circus 52 crimes, Oxford Circus 48 and Leicester Square 49.

About half are theft.

These are – I couldn’t say hot spots because those figures are tiny – so these are the warmish spots. Everywhere else on the visitors trail shows fewer crimes.

When you consider the thousands of people passing through you can see you are scaremongering.

Just taking normal precautions when you go to a crowded place will be enough.

http://www.police.uk/

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

Of course it's safe Aman, London is no more or less safe than most tourist cities, and indeed safer than a lot of them. I have walked around Central London and been on tubes late at night as a single female, and always felt safe, far more so than I would where I live. There are always people nearby and I seem to be falling over policemen, figuratively speaking, on most street corners. Obviously the normal precautions like keeping your wallet etc out of view and keeping alert goes without saying.

28. Re: Is this not possible or "safe"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:18