We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fleshing out final solo itinerary

Indiana
Level Contributor
250 posts
302 reviews
Save Topic
Fleshing out final solo itinerary

My husband has been to London before, I have a few days solo there in May (leaving next week, ack!) and we're going back together in the fall. So I have a list of things to see/do that he's already seen, as well as things to save for the next trip. On the list for next time: Westminster, Hampton Court, South Bank, Buckingham Palace. Would appreciate feedback on my upcoming solo itinerary.

Saturday, May 11

Arrive around noon. Get to accomodations near Euston. Settle in. Would love to hit Portobello, but afraid I'm arriving far too late. So maybe Covent Gardent or Camden Market instead?

SUNDAY, MAY 12

10 a.m. -- Tower of London (arrive when opens, head straight to crown jewels to avoid queue later, then back for the Yeoman tour)

afternoon -- Victoria and Albert (sadly, Bowie sold out)

9:30 p.m. -- Ceremony of the Keys (back to the tower)

MONDAY, MAY 13

Windsor Castle (Changing of the guard at 11 a.m., but will it take all day or should I plan more for this afternoon/early evening?)

TUESDAY, MAY 14

a.m. -- British Museum

p.m. -- St. Paul's Cathedral

WEDNESDAY, MAY 15

Off to the Cotswolds!

Interests: architecture, churches, art and design, history and culture, theater. Other things I'd liek to incorporate: Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, British Library, St. Martin in the Fields, at least one show (maybe Phantom, I know it's cliche! but it's London! or Mousetrap?).

I normally like to go-go-go on vacation, and although I feel like I have been doing mounds of research, I'm worried my days are far too light! I'd rather have plenty planned and drop things, than find myself with extra time and no idea of what's nearby.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fleshing out final solo itinerary

You might search the forum Bowie information, it's my understanding that people are still getting "day of" tickets if you really want to see it. There's a recent post on it.

Windsor Castle takes only part of a day but if you also visit the town and Eton it can take the better part of a day. I'd schedule something for the evening, either stop by TKTS to see if there are any theater tickets or check out a London Walk, maybe Jack the Ripper or a pub walk. I go to the theater in London by myself, it's not at all weird.

When you are at the V&A, take a walk and stop by Bibendum, even if just for a photo, one of the coolest buildings I've ever seen in London. I stopped and had some oysters.

http://www.bibendum.co.uk/

And I know there are mixed opinions about Harrod's but I love the food hall architecture, I never buy anything except maybe a few chocolates. I've walked there from the V&A before or you can hop on public transport

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fleshing out final solo itinerary

Your itinerary sounds just fine. Some I read on here are just impossible but this one is good.

O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fleshing out final solo itinerary

Yes Camden or Covent Garden will be open all Sat afternoon and lively into the evening. They will both be VERY busy on a Sat. This ands to the fun but please keep an eye on your bags. Go off the main square at C Garden to find lovely streets with nice shops and pubs and the theatres. In Camden escape the crowds with a lovely walk down the canal. Both have plenty of market stalls to browse - lots! Although there's not as much antiques as Portabello. There's lots of crafty things, things to eat, gifts, etc . enjoy!

4. Re: Fleshing out final solo itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:17