We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private car from London to Highclere and Back

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Private car from London to Highclere and Back

Dearest Tripadvisor friends:

We are going to visit Highclere Castle and want to hire a driver from Mayfair London to Highclere Castle and then bring us home. We have chose not to take the train due to time restraints. Can anyone give us a well respected car service with driver at a fare price? Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private car from London to Highclere and Back

One of the airport minicabs will do it for £35.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private car from London to Highclere and Back

From London Paddington you can reach Newbury in under an hour. A car may actually be slower from London, since it will be coping with traffic.

I would take the train, and a taxi from Newbury.

If you do pay for a car, both there and back, I imagine it will be well over £100.

Edited: 02 May 2013, 14:01
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private car from London to Highclere and Back

Hobnob, which minicab service is willing to drive 140 miles and charge £35?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private car from London to Highclere and Back

It was a joke!!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private car from London to Highclere and Back

Since Newbury is a small town, do you suggest setting up a cab in advance to be waiting at the station and have them wait at the castle till we are done? We may consider the train if it is cheaper, just want to make sure we can get to the station in a timely manner to avoid missing our train back.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private car from London to Highclere and Back

Get the phone number of the taxi company and ring them to collect you when you are finished. I don't know how long you plan to spend at Highclere, but I suspect it will be an hour or more. Asking a taxi driver to wait hours will cost you a lot. That will also be the problem with getting a London minicab company to take you there. The driver won't be able to earn any more when s/he is waiting for you to go around the castle, so they will charge you for the lost revenue.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private car from London to Highclere and Back

Thanks! I will take that under advisement. Finally, do you know of any Newbury respectible cab companies?

8. Re: Private car from London to Highclere and Back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:18