We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Thames Clippers

Beveren, Belgium
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Thames Clippers

I'm going to base my 1-day-in-London itinerary on a hop on hop off ticket of Thames Clippers : hop off at a pier, doing some sightseeing and hop back on again to another pier. This to get the most out of 1 day in London with our kids who have not been in London yet.

I've got a few questions though :

- the 2-4-1 deal expires at 21h, but we will be probably travelling from the Tower to London Eye after 21h : how much will we have to pay for this trip (2 adults and 3 children : 17, 13 and 10) at nighttime ? Is there also a discount on this rate or not ?

- are there seats outside or only inside ? I do like photography : will I be able to take good pictures from inside if there are no outside seats ?

- the clippers go really fast : will I be able to take pictures at night time (long exposure) whilst the clipper moves or only when it boards and stands still for a while before taking off again ?

- in the morning we would like to go to Woolwich Arsenal pier to pass the Thames barrier. Do we have to get off the boat or can we just stay on until it departs again ?

Thanks for a reply !

London
Level Contributor
9,855 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Thames Clippers

Can only answer some of the questions.

There is a small outside area at the rear, a great place to take photos. There are seats and some standing space. The boats do move at a fair pace, so I think long exposure photos will be very difficult. When I tried it the results were blurred.

Beveren, Belgium
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Thames Clippers

Wow thanks for a this quick reply ! Thought so about the pictures... pity... oh well, I can take pictures before getting on at Tower and if we get off at London Eye ! The clippers are more convenient to our needs then e.g. citycruises, they are slower and only until 18h at the 2-4-1 deal ! you win some, you loose some :-)

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Thames Clippers

The clippers only go 'fast' downstream of Tower Bridge. Upstream it is much slower. Shouldn't have problems with photos.

The large clippers, which I think you will be on, have a fairly large outside space.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Thames Clippers

I went on a Clipper last week, with my Travelcard the adult single fare was £4.30, and child 5-15 was £2.30.

See link below.

Post 3 is correct, they are quite slow at first as there are a few stops, at one point it stopped completely to allow other oncoming river traffic through.

Further on downstream they make an announcement to say they will be changing to fast speed.

I preferred to sit inside undercover, very blustery outside; the seats are comfortable there is a small café bar, plenty of windows to see out of.

For night time photography the views from some of the bridges are amazing and better than on a wobbly boat, you would be higher up than the river and you can use long exposures.

Some people here might suggest the better bridges to use for classic views.

thamesclippers.com/routes-times-prices-booki…

Beveren, Belgium
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Thames Clippers

thank you all for your replies, it helps me perfecting my itinerary ;-)

one more question though : is it very busy on the clippers ? It would be a pity losing a lot of time waiting in line... we will be going on the last Sunday of July (28th).

Can we buy our tickets beforehand (but we want to use the 2-4-1 deal, so I guess not ?) ? Perhaps we can choose a less busy pier to start off (as I guess once you've got a ticket you don't have to wait too long ?). What might be the calmer piers on Sunday morning about 10 am ?

If lines are too long, I guess we will seek other forms of transportation (tube/DLR) to avoid losing too mucht time !

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Thames Clippers

have u considered HOHO buses as an alternative ?

www.theoriginaltour.com/‎

Have a great trip !

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Thames Clippers

The City Cruises boats tend to be busier as they are more aimed at tourists but both companies generally use different parts of the same pier which means there could be lines but generally it's not too bad especially at 10.00am on a Sunday morning.

Level Contributor
252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Thames Clippers

Always go for the Thames Clipper boats. They are subsidised and I think offer better value than other operators. Westminster Pier to Greenwich Pier is a nice ride.

Though most of it is covered, you can stand outside, mainly at the back and take photos.

9. Re: Questions about Thames Clippers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 06:17