We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Edinburgh

Auckland, New...
13 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get to Edinburgh

Can anyone tell me the best way for a single traveller to travel there from London - I believe the train is easy and goes into the city centre. Was thinking of spending a couple of nights

or is an organized trip better?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,303 Reviews
from US$126.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
478 Reviews
from US$105.40*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,099 Reviews
from US$134.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
468 Reviews
from US$334.60*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,058 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Edinburgh

Trains from London King's Cross to Edinburgh Waverley take about four and a half hours, with no change of train needed. When in Edinburgh you may walk or use any of the frequent Lothian Bus services for sightseeing.

Book the train well ahead on this popular route at www.eastcoast.co.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,119 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Edinburgh

Agree with TP that east coast is the best website to get your tickets from, there are some weekend engineering works coming up in the next month or two - I'm on one and it will take me 6 hours to get back from Edinburgh next month. Lothian buses - http://lothianbuses.com/ do a day ticket for £3.50 which you can get from the bus driver but have the correct money as they don't give change as you put the money in a box by the driver.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Edinburgh

you also have the option of the Caledonian Sleeper service from Euston-Edinburgh which saves a night's hotel bill. Standard class you share a cabin with 1 other person of the same sex, first class you get your own cabin. The Bargain Berths still exist, but are harder to find, they're amongst the other tickets on scotrail.co.uk (and not on any other site).

Level Contributor
39,648 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Edinburgh

The train is definitely the best option and it takes you directly to the city centre and is quicker than a flight.

Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,791 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Edinburgh

Train. I wouldn't bother with an organised trip even in a short space of time. Having said that International Friends do some nice mini tours which get you out of Edinburgh to see much that is more appealing about Scotland. (Very easy to do yourself though. Just hire a car and pootle about).

6. Re: Best way to get to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 05:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question