We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK car hire

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
UK car hire

Coming to UK from Australia in July with 2 adults and 3 teenagers (all boys and quite tall). 12 days in Yorkshire - would a Ford Mondeo, Opel Omega or Toyota Avensis be suitable?? Just for day trips from our base so no luggage but just worried about interior space for tall children??

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK car hire

I think those cars would be roughly equivalent to a Holden Commodore or Caprice - the Caprice is probably a bit bigger. It might be a slightly tight squeeze for long journeys, especially if your boys are wide at the shoulders. I think the Omega is the biggest of those three.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK car hire

Opel Omega? Vauxhaul (GM/Opel) have not made an Omega since 2003.

I would try to get a medium sized people carrier like a Zaphira or the Meriva which has cool suicide doors. The Mondeo and Avensis would be ok but three tall lads in the back might be a bit of a squeeze. You have to think about them as adult size.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK car hire

They should be ok for a family of 5 but I would check out the carhire3000 website as they usually have good deals on bigger car types you don't know who the company is until you give all your detais and pay for the hire but they only use the big names, like Hertz, avis, Budget etc. and are reliable:

www.carhire3000.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK car hire

The Omega is probably what they now do as the Vauxhall Insignia

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK car hire

I would second the suggestion to get a Zaphira or similar (Ford C-Max, Renault Scenic) as the room on the back seat will be much better. They would be similar to a Holden Captiva - known here as the Chevrolet Captiva.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 20:00
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: UK car hire

Just to add to the above, the Honda Ballade is know in the UK as the Triumph Acclaim.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK car hire

^^ It was when it was actually built here in the 1980's, but I would be astounded if it were still offered as a hire car by even the cheapest of cheap rental outlets.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: UK car hire

The OP said they were arriving in July, didn't say which year. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey....

London
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK car hire

The rental companies show 'example' cars, but they don't guarantee the exact model. Just because they show a Mondeo, there's no guarantee that this is the car you'll be allocated when you collect. Cars of Mondeo (or equivalent size) will fit three adults in the back, but it'll be very cosy.

If the site you're looking at is quoting an Omega, then it is hopelessly out of touch with the UK market.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK car hire

UK Car hire -

What they quote(Europcar) online is usually way below what i paid when we collected our car at the airport on arrival at Birmingham!

For a 3nite hire they quoted me STG117.73 but end up paying STG246.68!

So better get them to spell out all items & make sure its all cost that u will pay .