We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When the Heir is Born

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
When the Heir is Born

So, it occurs to me that the heir might be born while I am in London July 2-18. Apart from the inevitable instant production of commemorative souvenirs, will there be an impact on travelers?

I was on a family trip to British Columbia when Prince William was born. We happened to be in Parliament observing when they interrupted the session to announce his birth. I'd love to be in London when his child is born.

And yes, I do realize that is a fairly irrational sense of nostalgia and connection, but we all have our little foibles.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When the Heir is Born

"will there be an impact on travelers?"

No.

The media will embarrass us with its depth of coverage. Reaction on the street, assuming mother and baby are both well, will be underwhelming. There might be a City of London town crier, but blink and you'll miss him, and a typed notice on Buck House gates.

The first real public activity will be the child's christening, in semi-private (in a palace, family & friends only present, but with lots of photos released) , 6-8 weeks later.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,011 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When the Heir is Born

William and Harry's births (to the arguable more high profile Di) had zero impact so I doubt this will have apart from Nicholas Witchell reverentially commenting outside whichever hospital is assigned the task of delivering the baby (I assume she's not going for a home birth....).

There will be knick knacks available from all the usual souvenir stalls/shops I'm sure. Just avoid like the infamous mug with a pic commemorating their Wedding showing Kate and her blushing hubby. Harry.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 16:46
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When the Heir is Born

Isn't there a suggestion in the more gossipy newspapers that the birth won't be in London?

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When the Heir is Born

No, apart from a load of new tourist junk being on sale and tv being unwatchable. Most people won't care in the slightest, its not a monumental event, its a new 3rd in line to the throne.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When the Heir is Born

Apart from the inevitable instant production of commemorative souvenirs, will there be an impact on travelers?

--------

Yes, all travellers will be forced to pay a £50 exit fee to support the baby.

Oregon
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When the Heir is Born

Is that fee payable to tat mongers or to the crown directly?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When the Heir is Born

Actually, I can't remember there being many souvenirs commemorating the birth of William. The odd bell and thimble, but nothing much more. And let's face it, this baby will still only be third in line to the throne. Commemorative souvenirs for births are rare because nobody knows the name until after the event and what souvenirs that do appear will be on the shelves later.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When the Heir is Born

No, everything will carry on as normal and it will probably take a few days to get the mugs and tea towels out :-)) but I hope everything goes well for her.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: When the Heir is Born

I would guess that this question was asked based on the well meaning assumption that the British people feel any sense of excitement about the forthcoming birth of the child who one day will reign over us as his or her subjects. Many of us here look with envy across the Atlantic at a great nation whose citizens enjoy the privilege of electing their own head of state. So, in short, the reaction of most British people to the royal birth will be "huh".

Oregon
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When the Heir is Born

I asked because there is so much media coverage. I fully understand the concept of constitutional monarchy and I don't have a misguided sense you long to be reigned over. Given the huge crowds one sees in news coverage of the royal family, it seems a reasonable assumption that some people must care. My thinking was more that some buildings etc. might have closures because they were in use for events (thanksgiving for a safe birth etc.) . Certainly here in the US people have an interest in the families of our presidents. The recent Bush grandchild certainly received plenty of attention and no one likes him at all.

Also, as I mentioned, I have a childhood memory concerning William and it is coincidental I am travelling at the time the third in line to the throne is expected.

I certainly didn't mean to raise hackles about the role of the monarchy in modern English society.