We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

Looking to book megabus (train) tickets for June 17 from London to Southampton. All the dates around the 17th have lists of journey times. Wondering why there aren't ANY for my date. Could someone figure this out for me? Not sure if they will show up later or we should just book the other train. Does megatrain ever hold back offering tickets on cruise dates? I see no evidence of that however for other cruise dates in June.

Anywone familiar with this? Thanks! I sent off an email with no reply as of yet.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

No idea.

If you cannot obtain tickets via the megabus website, you can buy ordinary tickets from South West Trains directly. A single from London Waterloo to Southampton Central is £38.00 (slightly cheaper if you travel off-peak) and can be bought at this price at the station even on the day of travel. There are no seat reservations on these trains, so these tickets do not 'sell out'.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 09:56
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

It's possible megatrain have made a mistake and forgotten to release tickets for your date or botched the process. If so they may be released later when/if they realise it. Or conceivably they may not bother even if they do

You've nothing to lose by waiting - the other train will be the same price on the day.

If you are prepared for a roundabout and longer journey, use Southern from Victoria - put via Barnham in the journey planner. Usually cheaper

Edited: 08 May 2013, 10:06
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

Although cruise passengers make up a trivial proportion of London-Southampton passengers on a given day (trains from Waterloo alone each hold close on a thousand people, and run at least four times an hour - and there are several smaller trains an hour from Victoria), it IS possible they make up a large proportion of people booking weeks ahead, and that all Megatrain capacity that day is exhausted.

There's no discount for advance booking on this route, so you might as well wait as wirewiper says on the off chance they put more capacity on. But the National Express bus takes only half an hour longer and costs just £6

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

Can't see any tickets for trains on the Megabus website after the 10th June, though coach tickets are available up to the 22nd.

At a guess therefore they haven't loaded the train tickets yet or they aren't going to sell any after the 10th.

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

Thank you for the replies. A couple comments re specific points made above.

I have checked the megatbus/train web site three times a day since the 45th day out when tickets were to be put online. I don't think they are sold out, as there are no trains listed either coming in or leaving from Southampton. So I'm thinking that somehow it was just missed.

I appreciate knowing that we won't have trouble buying "regular" tickets if I hold out. I was worried that maybe I'd have to give up on the mega value and get the regular tickets before they sell out.

Alanrow mentioned not seeing any tickets after June 10. Not sure what you are looking at, but I sure see them.:)

Dzug, I know of the hour longer ride from Victoria. Not too keen on doing that, but will keep it in mind as an alternative.

Dh is not interested in bus travel. And with the large bags we will have, the train will probably be the better option to avoid any restrictions. ???

He too wonders if any local would have a minute to call for us and check if there will be availibility for June 17, London to Southampton? Sure would help out a bunch of us wondering about the journey.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
435 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

I am also trying to book Megatrain on June 17. The website has never shown any trains for this date, even though it has trains before and after. When I emailed the company, they said they hadn't received a ticket allocation for this date yet. Is this unusual, or is it normal for certain dates to be delayed? Are there days other than Sunday where they never have anything available? Not sure why this particular date would be different than every other date. Should I make other transportation plans or keep waiting and checking?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

It's very unusual - why it's happened, pass.

If the other transport plans are getting a normal off peak or anytime ticket from Waterloo to Southampton then you have absolutely nothing to lose by waiting - those tickets will be on sale on the day at the same price. They will not sell out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

As you mentioned that it is a Sunday it may be that there is engineering works happening on the line, so part would be by coach. That might cause a hold up.

I have occasionally looked to book tickets from Bournemouth to London on a Sunday, and never found any tickets. I just assumed SWT don't need to discount them on Sundays. (But I could just be unlucky).

Edited: 12 May 2013, 09:44
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

<<As you mentioned that it is a Sunday>>

It's a Monday

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
435 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can a local answer a megatrain question please? Frustrated.

Yes, it's a Monday. That's why I don't understand why there aren't any tickets. I know they don't offer tickets on Sundays.