We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long can you spend in London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
How long can you spend in London?

Is two weeks too long to spend in London?

What about if I split the time and stay in two different areas; have a week in one area, then go on a tour of the UK, and then come back and spend another week in a different area?

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long can you spend in London?

On our first trip, we spent about 12 days in London, with a 3-day tour in the middle. We promptly came back the following year and spent another 5 days! And we're going back (only 2 days this time) in July. So we definitely haven't seen everything yet - not even close.

We found London pretty easy to get around, so not sure you'd really need to stay in two different locations, but it would definitely give you the feel of 2 different neighborhoods.

So, for me, 2 weeks is definitely not too long for London. But I think I could happily spend the rest of my life there! ;-)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long can you spend in London?

You could easily spend that much time in London. And you could use London as a base to do day trips.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c174500/Londo…

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long can you spend in London?

Hi Olivia

Hello from a fellow New Zealander! I'm used to taking quite decent chunks of time in London - but I break them up with day trips and/or short city breaks to other parts of the country/Europe. This year's trip will be four weeks with two breaks away. Admittedly I have both visited and lived in London a few times over the years, and I don't do all the tourist sites that draw first time visitors - so I find a break away enjoyable too.

I'd recommend either approach that Laura or Cybored suggested. Break up your stay with a visit somewhere else you'd like to go, then come back to another part of London. Eg, you could start with a stay in South Kensington near the parks and museums, then try another week in the City of London or across the river in Southwark for a totally different vibe.

Given that length of stay, I'd also recommend you might like to look into short-stay apartment/flat rather than a hotel, so you can immerse yourself even more in a neighborhood.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long can you spend in London?

You can spend a lifetime seeing new things in London, but a change of scene is good too, and of course the UK has much more to offer.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long can you spend in London?

It depends on your likes, and what you want to do. Are you a city person, or do you really like the countryside? While there is plenty to keep you busy in London I'd spend a few days somewhere else for a change of scene. See some nice villages & countryside somewhere. But that's just me.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,760 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long can you spend in London?

After about 7 days in London I'm tired of big city life and want somewhere calmer!

If you are going self-catering apartment/cottage then many will have a changeover day of Saturday, so a week here and a week there may be convenient.

Sweden
Level Contributor
247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long can you spend in London?

Two weeks is definately not too long.

The advantage of being there for an extended period is that it allows you to just be lazy for a day or two. Have picnics in the parks, spend half a day in a pub etc, etc.

I´m sure you´ll find the two weeks agonisingly short when the day of travelling back home arrives.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 12:00
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long can you spend in London?

It's a struggle to do the whole of London even in a day, I struggle doing different areas when I have been down to find enough time for everything so two weeks or so should be loads.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long can you spend in London?

It depends on you. Personally, I prefer the countryside so 4-5 days in a big city is about enough for me. You could easily spend a week in a cottage in a different region of the Uk which would make for a more diverse trip but, if you like city life, that may not work for you.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,223 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long can you spend in London?

It's not too much in terms of overall things to do; whether it's too much in terms of 'tourist site overload' and general busyness which you get used to if you live here and in any case may live somewhere peaceful (I do!) is another matter. It is definitely worth considering splitting your time between London and somewhere completely different. Personal faves are the Lake District or various bits of Scotland. Easy to fly or train to a major city (e.g. Glasgow/Edinburgh/Manchester) and hire a car if you are willing to drive, which is invaluable if you want to get into some rural nooks and crannies.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 13:08