We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Hat to close - September 2013

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Top Hat to close - September 2013

Despite having just won the Olivier for Best New Musical, Top Hat is apparently closing at the Aldwych Theatre in September. It will make way for a limited run of This House, a recent hit at the National Theatre.

Nothing has been confirmed by either the National or the Top Hat production, but since this has been reported by Baz Bamigboye - and his Friday theatre column in the Daily Mail is usually on the money...

Top Hat was booking until April 2014.

This House is apparently going to get a 16-week run in the West End. (I'm happy about that, as I'll get to see it; disappointed if it means missing out on Top Hat).

Will update when exact closing date known.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

That's a bitter blow as was really wanting to see it and September was the time I was wanting to go. Hopefully the date will be at the end of the month? Any more info will be appreciated.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

Well somebody need to tell Ticketmaster as they're showing ticket sales for September/October and beyond.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

Press rep for Top Hat still says they are booking through April 2014. It's a "wait and see" situation at the moment. Something must be up for theatre people in the know to comment about This House using the theatre, so I'll keep an eye out for news and post here as soon as I find out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

Thanks, Ruby.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,211 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

Good to know. Maybe I'll get a reduced price ticket. Its one of those 'sorta wanta to see, but don't want to pay top price' kind of shows.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

London Theatreland website has it booking until Sept 28.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,323 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

Many thanks for the heads up RB.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and would unreservedly recommend.

8. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 19:41
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

Thanks all for the heads up. Great to know that it will be the end of September.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top Hat to close - September 2013

Theatre direct says 26th Oct but only that Lloyd Webber wants The Aldwych, nothing from Top Hat