We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lewisham trip

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Lewisham trip

I am going to Lewisham for a couple weeks and I wanted to know how safe it is. Are there specific times where it would be unsafe to use public transportation? Also, are there any gang-affiliated colours?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lewisham trip

You might not want to walk from a bus stop at 0230 with ten pound notes hanging out of each pocket, but aside from that there are no constraints on using buses, the DLR or National Rail services.

Of 'gang-affiliated colours' I suspect there are none.

Miami, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lewisham trip

If I was out until 2:30 would you recommend getting a taxi?

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lewisham trip

Where in Lewisham? It's a big place and I know single women who live there who have no trouble using the night buses, but I also know burly men who live there and insist on getting cabs to avoid the bus drunks coming back from clubs.

Gang colours? It's Britain, not L.A in the 80s! There are gangs all over London, but unless you're going looking for trouble, you'd probably never notice. They tend to be teenagers, on bikes, doing petty crimes and usually dressed in ordinary, but dark, clothes, no markings.

Why are you staying there anyway if you're that worried?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lewisham trip

Where have you booked to stay in Lewisham? Will you be a solo traveller or visiting with friends?

Should you plan to travel at night from the West End, black cabs might be thin on the ground ('not south of the river, mate'), so if you have a smartphone, use the TfL Cabwise app and book minicabs. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…default.aspx Do *not* accept offers from minicab touts outside clubs and venues.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lewisham trip

I'm intrigued by the "gang colours" thing. There's pubs you might think twice about walking into wearing a Millwall shirt, but I'm guessing that won't be a major concern for the OP.

The advice given so far is good. Don't be concerned, but be sensible.

Mike

Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Lewisham trip

I stayed in a B&B in Hither Green, Lewisham area twice...as a single female traveller, I had never encountered any problem. I'm staying there again in June this year.

7. Re: Lewisham trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 May 2013, 19:51
Edited: 12 May 2013, 19:51
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lewisham trip

"Don't wear gloves in the middle of the summer!"

Given our recent summers, this could actually be relevant.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lewisham trip

<< Tbh gangs are not something most people have problems with, n until recently the police were refusing to admit that they existed! >>

I suggest you visit the non-public area of any Police Station before making unsubstantiated claims !

10. Re: Lewisham trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 May 2013, 19:51
Edited: 12 May 2013, 19:51