We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Touch-In

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster Touch-In

Yet another Oyster question. I've been reading certain posts that say you have to get off trains and touch in at certain stations and I may be misunderstanding.

Am I correct to assume if I start at Waterloo, I touch in and then take the tube. I go to Green Park to change lines, nut I don't need to touch anywhere with the card and then get on another line to South Kensington and then touch out here as I leave the station? So only one touch in and one touch out?

But, if I go to Paddington on the tube to get train to Windsor, I have to touch out even though I am not leaving the station via tube?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from US$126.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from US$104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$299.60*
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Touch-In

Yes, correct.

The vast majority of tube and train stations have automatic gates which only open when you touch in or out with your oyster (or insert a paper ticket into the gate). Therefore, unless you plan to vault the gate and do a runner, possibly pursued by station staff, you are not going to miss touching out.

The only time this is an issue is a few stations do not have gates, and if you travel late at night the gates may be left open (so noone gets trapped in an unstaffed station). In such cases you must remember to touch out or your oyster card will charge you the maximum fare to the end of the line, because it does not know where you got off the train. You just swipe the card against a large yellow spot. Copy what everyone else is doing.

You do not have to touch in /out when you change lines on the underground without exiting the station. However, if you exit the tube to go and catch an overground train you have to touch out. Like I said, it's often impossible not to unless you are intent on fare dodging and jump the gates.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 15:02
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Touch-In

Akkarin last paragraph is misleading.

You don't have to touch out if you change from Underground to Overground. The only times you have to touch out/in at an intermediate station on your journey is

If you have a paper travel card and you are continuing your journey past the validity of that ticket, but using Oyster PAYG.

If you are travelling though the suburbs and not passing through a central zone. i.e. travelling from Romford to West Hampstead. If you don't touch the card reader at Stratford and Highbury & Islington, the system will assume you passed through Zone 1 and charge accordingly.

3. Re: Oyster Touch-In

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 06:17