We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

I will be travelling from Manchester via National Express on 21/6/13 and will arrive at Victoria Coach Station at 10.50 am. What will be the easiest way to continue my journey to Gatwick, to catch my flight at 3.25 pm (departure).

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

You have two choices.

You could book a National Express coach from Victoria Coach station to Gatwick. Fares are between £5 and £6.50 (as currently displayed online). The coaches leave every 30 minutes and they take 1hr25, though that can be traffic deiendent.

Or, you could walk 5 minutes to Victoria Railway station, and get a Regular Southern train to Gatwick. There are trains every 10-15 minutes and the journey takes 32-38 minutes. The standard walk up fare is £14.40.

Personally, I'd take the train every time, fast and comfortable.

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

easisest option is to extend your ticket with National Express to Gatwick.

National Express run buses Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick hourly at 30 minutes past the hour that take about 90 minutes.

Normal cost one way is £6.50 on-line in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,759 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

From the coach station walk to Victoria rail station, less than five minutes away. Ask at the ticket office for a single for a *Southern* service to Gatwick airport. A single will cost £14.40. There are frequent departures with no change needed en route.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

Can the OP not buy a specific time train ticket for about £5, I see that mentioned here frequently? Buy one for say noon, will be at Gatwick by 1230, same sort of arrival time as coach, and cheaper. Small chance it will go wrong with a very late coach arrival in which case its only £5 lost and they will want to be travelling by train anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

If the OP takes the train, enter Victoria by the "back door," the first one you see people going into--its easier walking than the outdoor sidewalk and you don't run into crowds of people waiting for the "Big Bus" tours or just standing there looking dazed. Smoother footing, too, if you're pulling a bag.

Mentioned in this post
Big Bus Tours
Big Bus Tours
6,451 Reviews
London, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

>> Can the OP not buy a specific time train ticket for about £5, I see that mentioned here frequently? <<

I just looked on the National Rail site, and there are Advance tickets available for the 11.51 (£5), 12.02 (£7.50) and 12.17 (£5). All of those will get you to Gatwick within 31-36 minutes. You will need to buy those tickets in advance, and you are restricted to the specific train (miss it and you lose the ticket). Any of those above should be fine, but the later gives you a buffer in case the coach is delayed.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

Thanks guys, really helpful.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

Edited: 13 May 2013, 22:14
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

Edited: 13 May 2013, 22:14
Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria Coach Station to Gatwick Airport

I was planning to take the Victoria Express on Sunday 4th August but information received indicates that due to works on the line part of the journey will be by bus. Does this not make it more sense to take the coach as carrying luggage for taking abroad will mean lots of on and off train and bus etc.

Mentioned in this post
The Victoria
The Victoria
759 Reviews
London, UK