We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

Hello. I am finalizing my itinerary for our family trip to London next month and I realize that I don't have any ideas for lunch in between visiting Westminster Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms. Any suggestions for a good, family friendly and reasonable place to eat? I'm not opposed to a chain restaurant, if there are any nearby. Thanks for the advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

Finding a restaurant in Westminster is a bit like finding a ATM in soho, there's not many options. I think your best bet is walk up Victoria street towards Victoria station where you will find a couple of chain type restaurants.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

My suggestion is the Red Lion pub on Parliament St which has a restaurant upstairs. I dined there last Summer after visiting the War Rooms and the food was excellent. It is only a short walk between the two.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

Yeah, there aren't a lot of eating places right in the area. There used to be (not sure if it's still there) a cafe in a big Methodist Church there. There are a couple of pubs around. Or some fast-food options across Westminster Bridge in the County Hall building.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

Oh, there's also a cafe in St. James's Park (Inn the Park), but the choices are kind of expensive meals for lunch or packaged sandwiches.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

There's a cafe in the Churchill War Rooms, but I've never eaten lunch there, only had tea and cakes (but that was good). The food in Westminster Abbey didn't look very good.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

Isn't there a M&S Simply Foods or Tesco in the building by the tube station? You could buy the makings of a picnic lunch and dine al fresco along the Thames or in St. James's Park.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

There is some grocery store next to the Westminster tube station. It has those prepackaged sandwiches. Can't remember the name. I think there's some kind of sandwich place there too.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

There's a Tesco Express and a caffe Nero right by Westminster tube station. Alternatively a few pubs on Whitehall at the Trafalgar Square end (the Clarence would be my pick).

Just past Admiralty Arch (walk along Horse Guards, turn right into the Mall there are various restaurants and cafes, another Nero and a Pret.

Or turn left toward Birdcage Walk and walk through to Petty France - more cafes, sandwich bars and restaurants through there. Depends where you're going next and what you want to eat.

9. Re: Lunch Suggestions Near Churchill War Rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 06:19