We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pickpockets

How bad is it in London? Any clues to prevent from becoming their victims? Or shall we avoid any specific place? To keep distance.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets

Oliver Twist is dead...

I have never felt overtly worried about pickpockets in London. I use a bag or purse that I can carry close and safely, try not to end up in huge crowds of people and stay in bright, well-lit areas.

I think I read somewhere that Westminster Bridge has had shady characters lurking around. Not sure if that is still the case???

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpockets

Not really a problem at all as long as you don't have your wallet sticking out of your back pocket. They are not as prevalent as in Paris, Rome or Barcelona, for example, possibly because we have cctv everywhere.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets

Very rare in London.

Keep your bags close and closed

Don't leave tablets or phones on you table when eating

Don't leave bags on floor without looping the strap through a chair leg when eating

Don't stop it someone stops still in your path or at the foot of escalators

Don't carry your back pack on your back

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,704 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpockets

It's not a huge problem and it's far worse elsewhere. Main thing to watch is that you don't leave a shoulder bag open and rucksacks (actually worn on your back) can be problems. You're more likely to get a bag lifted leaving it unattended in a bar or cafe than be pickpocketed per se. And be more of a nuisance to others leaving said bags unattended which can cause security concerns (the latter mainly at transport hubs and on tube trains). Keep an eye on your bags at all times.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 16:47
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpockets

If I were travelling to Paris, Rome or Barcelona I might be wary of pickpockets. Although I like to think I'm vigilant I tend to relax more in UK cities because petty theft on the streets is less of an issue.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpockets

They have said it all really.

It just isn't a problem if you are sensible.

Once, 25 years ago, I put my hand on my bag as I walked across London Bridge at rush hour and felt somebody else's hand. I lost nothing and have never had an incident since.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickpockets

Some good tips.

As parklandwalk post 4 says, its shoulder bags/bags on floors and whilst in cafes (or attractions) that you can be targeted.

Have a look at these videos of pickpockets in action, at an internet café and the Sherlock Holmes Museum; watch the man with the flat cap in the museum, very quick, the victim realises something has happened but the man is away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOwq3Ii0Gs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEgKYwSrjAs

8. Re: Pickpockets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:20