We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice place to stay near Heathrow or easy to get to from LHR

Athens, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
nice place to stay near Heathrow or easy to get to from LHR

Hi, I have to drop off a rental car at Heathrow on a Friday morning in Aug.

Will be coming down from Mid-Wales. After drop off we will head into London.

Alternately I can turn the car in the night before. Either way we probably need to stay nearish or easy access to Heathrow car rental area that night. Having easy access to London (without car) would be a plus.

Where would people suggest a nice place that fits the bill. Windsor is an option...how easy is it to get to from dropping off the car? Any other places, we probably only have half a day visit to any place.

There are 4 of us. I can drop off people at the hotel/b&b if needed and drop off the car myself.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice place to stay near Heathrow or easy to get to from LHR

May I suggest you rent your car from Sixt if you haven't booked yet? That is the closest drop-off of all the car rental places at Heathrow to a Tube/Underground station which can get you into London. You simply drop car off and then walk over to Hatton Cross Tube.

I wasn't clear from your post why you need to stay near the car rental place if you're dropping it off the night before and therefore getting rid of it altogether? From Hatton Cross it's about an hour into Central London but you don't need to go that far to find a nice hotel and restaurant etc for the evening. You could plan (depending on budget) to stay somewhere like Chiswick/Kensington that first night and from there have a day in London the next day and get back to Heathrow later that day by Tube.

Alternatively from Hatton Cross you can take the 490 bus to Twickenham (cheap Travelodge hotel there) or Richmond (pretty, suburban hamlet but lots of places to eat and drink) for the night and again from either of those places, head into London the next day. It's about 40 minutes -maybe less- in the evening by bus to either of those places.

I don't think Windsor is that accessible by public transport from Heathrow. You have to take a bus to Feltham and change onto a train. They aren't always that frequent.

Hope that's a bit helpful!

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,817 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice place to stay near Heathrow or easy to get to from LHR

Are you staying in London for a while after this? If so, I'd just head into London after you drop off the car and get to your London hotel.

I've never done it, but I don't think a taxi to Windsor is too expensive from the airport. There's nowhere to store luggage though.

Athens, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: nice place to stay near Heathrow or easy to get to from LHR

Thank you for the info. I was also looking at Kew, though not as easy to get to from Heathrow.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,043 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice place to stay near Heathrow or easy to get to from LHR

Windsor is about 20 minutes by cab from Heathrow, and should cost about £20. But unless you're staying there, there is no where to hold your bags.

You've got several of us confused about why you need to be near to car drop off either the night before or directly after--can you help us understand this? Is there a person with limited mobility in your group, or do you anticipate a late return?

5. Re: nice place to stay near Heathrow or easy to get to from LHR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 05:17