We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
42 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

Hello TA London Experts. You have guided me thus far through the maze of mass transit in London. Can you clarify for me this question: do I feed a 7-day paper travel card through the machine to get to the platform, or do I show it to the person working the gate? I thought the forum postings said not to feed the paper tickets into the machine, but now I think that might be a different paper travel ticket - not the 7-day one.

Can you help me understand the correct procedure? Thank you so much!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

The 'don't put the ticket in the barrier' is in reference to those who plan to use return rail tickets for the two for one offers. Those who do need to retain the outbound ticket along with the inbound if they wish to use the offers on all days between arrival and departure.

If you choose to seek out a station agent rather than put your paper Travelcard through the barriers, you will spend a great deal of time and energy doing so. The card goes in magnetic strip down (as shown on the schematic); it wil pop up at the triangle-shaped slot behind the Oyster reader. goukaseishi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/g… Remove the card and the barrier will open.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
42 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

Thank you for the clarification! I appreciate the help so much.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

OK...so now I am confused! If the ticket pops out then what is the problem with having it to use for the 2 for 1 offers? Does it only pop out if it is a 7 day ticket and there are days left on it? I will not be getting a 7 day ticket, as I will only be in London for 4 days, but I do want to use the 2 for 1 offers. Just how much "time and energy" will I be using to make sure that I get to keep my ticket for the offers?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

If one has a return rail ticket for a journey from, say, Stansted to Liverpool Street, the actual ticket is sold on two bits of card, outbound and return. If one puts the outbound into the barrier at Liverpool Street, the mechanism will read it as a completed journey and retain the ticket.

The mechanism inside the barrier will read a valid Travelcard as a reuseable ticket; out it will pop for collection and further use. Your one day cards, Peach, will be returned to you throughout the period of validity.

There is usually a station agent near the wide gates to offer help to those travelling with pushchairs or children under age 10 who do not need tickets for travel. But if the agent is busy you would have to wait for assistance, it depends on the station.

In any event, you should not need to do this, as one day Travelcards will pop up for retrieval and reuse.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

There is *always* a station agent at the barrier, for health and safety reasons. If there is not, then the barriers must be left open.

(There are a few railway stations in the UK where this function is performed with an intercom and CCTV, but this does not AFAIK apply to TfL)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

We used 7-day paper cards during our recent trip. And I accidentally left them near my phone on the first day, causing the magnetic strips to stop working. So, through our entire trip, we had to get the attention of a staff member to let us through the barriers after showing him/her our card. It probably added a minute or two to our travel time. Not a bother, really.

7. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 May 2013, 20:52
Edited: 18 May 2013, 20:52
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,881 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

Here we go (though this guy uses "swipe" instead of "touch" for Oyster) ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyfAt5P3WE8

Peach (and Bethany), one day and seven day paper travelcards will work exactly as shown in the (second part of the) video.

As TP has explained, the ticket barrier will eat a >>used<< ticket, such as a single tube ticket, or at railway stations the "to London" part of a return. If you need the "to London" ticket for 2 for 1, you should not use this type of barrier, but go to the manned barrier and ask to keep that part of the ticket.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

Desi

You could have asked at a ticket office for a replacement ticket. I am not sure how willing they would be to do this for a weekly ticket, but they certainly do for monthly or longer.

USB

That is because all proximity cards work better if there is lateral movement when they are in range of the sensor. Next time you are in London and there isn't a crush around you, try placing your Oyster straight down on the reader. You should discover that it isn't recognised and the gate won't open.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 00:25
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: clarification on paper travel cards - to feed or not to feed

Amos... we did ask for a replacement ticket, but it was a no-go. They are only willing to replace tickets with a validity of more than 7 days. But honestly, I didn't find it all that inconvenient to show the ticket to the staff on duty. And they were more than happy to help :)