We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

I'm flying through LHR with a 12-hour layover (10.00-22.30) and I will have as much hand luggage as I possibly can (U.S. shopping spree). In the past I have dumped everything at the left luggage in the airport, but this time I land at terminal 5 and depart from Terminal 1.

If I go to London (or maybe Windsor? Oxford?), is it possible to store my stuff there and avoid the time and trouble of going from one terminal to another at LHR?

I haven't been to Windsor or Hampton Court in many years. I haven't been to Oxford at all. It's always on my list as a day-trip from London, but I never seem to want to leave London once I'm there!

Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,286 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

There's left luggage at some central London railway stations, but I doubt it at Oxford and (more so) Windsor.

The best thing to do is, on arrival, go straight to T1 and use left luggage there. That way, you get the faffing around done immediately, and on the return you go straight to your departing terminal. From T5 head to the Heathrow Express, and take the train to Heatbrow Central (it's free) and then follow the signs for T1. That detour will take 20 minutes maximum.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 10:13
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

I was trying to avoid the terminal transfer on arrival, thinking it would take a long time. I guess I was misled by the time to change terminals for connecting flights (90 minutes minimum).

The left luggage at T1 and T5 are after passport control? Could I leave the stuff at T5, then go back in the evening, pick it up and hop the train to T1. I would like to get in as much as possible before the sights close. I know by 6 or 7 p.m. I will be wiped out and headed back to LHR with nothing to do but wait for boarding.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

Left luggage is always landside (on the same side of passport control as checkin, not as the plane gates).

T5 is closer to Oxford and Windsor than T1 (the bus from Oxford stops at T5, then T1-3). In your case, and with your constraints, I'd leave the bags at T5 - but make sure you understand the mechanics of travelling T5-T1 landside

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

thank you so much, flanner and USB Portland. It's good to know all my options and I can make a couple of plans, then choose at the last minute!

PS - I guess Schiphol is an oddity - luggage lockers between passport control and gates.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,899 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

Here's info for visiting Windsor during a Heathrow Layover...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186216-c184679/Unite…

You definitely need to store your luggage at Heathrow before you make the trip.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 19:01
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

Okay, I've ruled out Windsor. It will be either Oxford or Hampton Court Palace. If the weather is good, probably Oxford and spend a good part of the time outdoors plus the Ashmolean Museum. If not, then Hampton Court which seems to be mainly indoors. My understanding is:

Oxford - store carry-on at T5 (where I arrive), bus (The Airline) there and back, then collect the bag and go to T1.

Hampton Court - take the carry-on to T1 for storage, bus no. 111 there and back from the Central Bus Station because the Station is close to T1 and quite far from T5.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

If the flights are all on one ticket, could you not just check them through?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

I will have a very full 22" carry-on in addition to checked luggage. I don't fancy lugging that around with me all day, especially after an 8 hour red-eye.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,899 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

I believe Hampton Court has a place where you can store luggage.

www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/FAQs#14

10. Re: Long layover at LHR - luggage question, mainly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 07:17