We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

38 day visit to uk

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
38 day visit to uk

I have the following itinerary for a 38 days visit to UK & will be grateful if you all could give any advice & suggest improvements to achieve a successful trip

I will be staying in Zone 4 near Arnos Grove station

London 7 days

Edinburgh 6 days

London 6 days

Cambridge 3 days

London 2 days

Paris 5 days

Coach tours out of London 2 days

London 7 days

My questions are as follows

1) I have done the maths with regards to London pass & found that it is cheaper to get travelcards (for 241 offers )& not be stressed out trying to visit too many places covered by the pass

Should I get 7 day travelcard with photocard for the 7,6 and 7 days & get day travelcard for the 2 days in London for Z 1-4?An oyster will serve the trips to & from Heathrow &/or Hampton Court(from Euston station)

Where can i buy the paper 7 day TC ?Any train station on the way from Heathrow on the first day of arrival & must the TC be purchased on the first day of the card validity period ?

It will be difficult to say @ this stage whether I will be using the buses alot to justify the purchase of TC, otherwise the cheaper oyster should be used

I am having problem registering for 241 site online as the page does not proceed despite trying both uk & Malaysian address.Could someone help me out there>

2 Coach tour to Stratford (Cotswold) & Bath,Windsor,Stonehenge have mixed reviews on mostly fantastic (great guides,local pub lunch) to insufficient time,crowded coach & traffic jam getting out of London.What is the consensus here .? I am laid back & will enjoyed an organised tour versus taking a train to each destination which warrant a whole day each

3 I wish I had booked longer for Edinburgh,still there is a lot to see/do in London

4 The 22 days in London is spread out 7,6,2 & 7 days

How should i approach this?

241 trips can be done for days for which paper rail TC are bought,& so non 241 trips for which I will use oyster or TC loaded on oyster.

5 Can we just go & visit Wilton's music Hall (Whitechapel) anyday more performances?

6Should another trip out of London to Hastings be practical or should I do/see all that we can see in 22 days in London?

I tried booking train to Hastings for a day return with East Coast Rail & dare not proceed when the en route stops shown is 'Hayward" & not Battle & Tunbridge Wells ,Is that correct ?

What train line should i book with?

I will ask you all later for more detailed planning questions

Thank you all in the community & be sure to contact me if you are coming to Malaysia

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 38 day visit to uk

I would get the 7 day travelcards for your 6 and 7 day stays. You will need to bring passport size photos for each of you (passport size, not quality) for a free photocard that is made up when you buy the first 7 day travelcard. Those photocards an be used for all three seven day cards.

You can stop off at Kings Cross St. Pancras, on the Piccadilly line en route to Arnos Grove. Both Kings Cross and St. Pancras are (huge) National Rail stations and sell the correct travelcards. Officially, the seven day TC's must be purchased on the day of first use. But that's a very recent rule and you could always ask if you can get one to start a day later.

Also get an Oyster card with some (say £10) of PAYG to cover the tube ride to/from Heathrow, and the odd journey (say between Arnos Grive and Kings Cross/St. Pancras for your Paris trip). You can top that up if need be and you can also use it for the two days in London (but note you won't have 2 for 1 on those days).

For Hampton Court, if you visit there during your two day visit you can just get a one day zone 1-6 travelcard to cover you for that day. Or, buy a cash extension ticket to your z1-4 seven day card.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 09:13
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 38 day visit to uk

Sorry do not understand 'passport photo" not "quality photo"; does that mean any passport "size" will do & not to worry about the "quality"? Presumably I can bring a few correct size photos from Kuala Lumpur

If I use z1-4 tc for the trip to Hampton Ct( get off last tube stop @ Watford Junction). , can I buy extension oyster fare @ Arnos Grove station or get out @Kenton tube ( end of z4) & pay extension fare before continuing the journey to WJ?

Can I ask ,what will the better 2 choices out of 3:coach tour( Premium Tour/Toolkit)

Stratford ,Cotswold ,Oxford

Salisbury,Canterbury,Leeds

Stonehenge,Windsor ,Bath

I am too lazy to do any of the towns on my own or is it easily doable?Have great reviews on the Premium coach tours

Since I will see Cambridge, will Oxford be similar ,; therefore if i drop Oxford, what other town to see beside Stratford upon Avon for a full day ?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 38 day visit to uk

The passport size photos just have to be that. As long as it shows your face and is the right size, it can be any picture. And yes bring it with you as the photo booths in London are pricey.

Regarding Hampton Court. It's nowhere near Watford Junction or Kenton**. You would head into London and take a National Rail train from Waterloo.

If you use a seven day z1-4 travelcard for Hampton Court, all you need to do is travel by tube from Arnos Grove to Waterloo, go to the National Rail ticket office, show the clerk your travelcard, and ask for a return ticket from the zone 4 boundary to Hampton Court. He/she will price the ticket as such, and so your z1-4 travelcard plus the boundary z4 to Hampton Court tickets are valid. You will NOT have to get off the train from Waterloo to Hampton Court en route.

(** - Watford Junction is close to the Harry Potter Studios, not Hampton Court)

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 38 day visit to uk

So I have to exit the tube at Waterloo to show my TC & buy extension rail ticket?The clerk is at rail station overground whereas the tube is underground?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 38 day visit to uk

Joy .... yes, but .....

I think you need to get a guide book and map(s) and look at London's transportation network. No disrespect, but I think you should do that to avoid confusion.

When you do that, you will see that Hampton Court is not on the tube network. It is only on the National Rail network, served by trains from Waterloo's National Rail station (yes you can get to Waterloo by tube, but you have to exit the tube station and walk a little and take an escalator or stairs to the National Rail station).

Then you have to buy National Rail tickets to Hampton Court from the ticket office on the National Rail station concourse. But, because you have a z1-4 travelcard that covers PART of your journey, you can show that to the ticket clerk and s/he will take that into account and ONLY charge you for the EXTRA from the edge of zone 4 to Hampton Court and back. That "extra" ticket will also qualify you for the 2 for 1 offers at Hampton Court.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 11:09
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 38 day visit to uk

I think you are limiting yourself. Your plan is very much urban focussed and usual tourist trail. With the time you have, I'd explore the great swathes of countryside.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 38 day visit to uk

So I did want to go to Hastings, Windsor Castle, Bath each town full day

Referring to my earlier message, I hve problem booking train to Hastings that has stops @ Battle & Tunbridge Wells

Will search for the right train

Coach tour for Stratford/Coldswold ,Stonehenge cannot be bundled up ,so may choose bundle of Oxford & Stratford

I also think there is a lot to do in London that will take more than 22 days

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 38 day visit to uk

Can I know all the holidays in UK in June & July this year

Thank you all

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 38 day visit to uk

No public holidays in England or Scotland this year between during June or July, just weekends.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 38 day visit to uk

What is the culture here in respect of " Friday evening till late night unwinding for office workers ,saturdays rush for chores & sundays sleepin for most" ?

So we should avoid the traffic congestion at the respective times?

What about tubes & trains on Friday nights & weekends?

Monday mornings quiet?