We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family & Friends railcard with Oyster or Day Travelcard

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family & Friends railcard with Oyster or Day Travelcard

We are travelling to London on Tues and back on Thu for a 3 day trip. Our commute to and from London is by train. We are group of 4 adults and 2 children. We got a Family and Friends Railcard. Will need to travel in London tube zone 1-2 for all 3 days after 9:30 except on Wed when we need to travel at 9.

What's the best ticket to buy for us- Oyster OR Day travelcard ?

Can we get any discount t for using the F&F railcard and if so how much? Is it easy to use without much hassle ?

Edited: 22 May 2013, 14:56
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
London
Level Contributor
10,817 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family & Friends railcard with Oyster or Day Travelcard

Some railcards entitle you to a discount on Oyster fares, but the F&F isn't one of them.

www.oyster-rail.org.uk/railcard-discounts/

As to Oyster or paper travelcard - there is only pennies difference in what you'll pay. Oyster is always a fraction cheaper than a paper travelcard, but you need to pay the up-front deposit. (And reclaim at the end of your visit - if you think you'll never visit London again - otherwise just hold onto it).

southwales
Level Contributor
777 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family & Friends railcard with Oyster or Day Travelcard

You can get a a discount on the off peak one day travelcard with the F&F railcard

See "How much do I save ?" here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/18343.aspx

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family & Friends railcard with Oyster or Day Travelcard

By discounts, do you mean the 2-4-1 deal?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

Your first day with a train ticket would be covered.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family & Friends railcard with Oyster or Day Travelcard

The trouble is they do not clearly say, how to use the F&F Railcard to get a discount on my Off peak travelcard. And does only 1 person get this discount or the whole group ? Do I have to buy a child ticket to get this discount, as children travel free normally on tube.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,730 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family & Friends railcard with Oyster or Day Travelcard

With the F&F card you all get the discount up to 4 adults and 4 children, you have to have a child aged 15 or under with you at all times and you buy a ticket for them. You won't get an off peak 1-2 zone travelcard but one that covers all 6 zones for £5.90 per adult and I think it is £2 per child as this is how they sell the tickets. See familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/using-your-c… for more details

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family & Friends railcard with Oyster or Day Travelcard

Thanks that's useful. Just to be clear,

that means for 4 adult & 2 kids, suing the F& F card, I can buy £5.90 tickets for each adult and child ticket worth £ 2. I still dont need to buy a ticket for my other child who is under 5.

so that makes (5.90 x 4) 23.60 (for adults)+ £2 (for 1 child) + 1 child free = £25.6 per day for us . right ?

7. Re: Family & Friends railcard with Oyster or Day Travelcard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:17