We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
206 posts
275 reviews
Save Topic
First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

Hello all,

We will arrive in London Victoria area (from JFK) on a Sunday. After stopping at our hotel (PI), picking up travelcards from Victoria Rail, and having lunch, we should have the afternoon free to see or do something in the area. We do have a list of the usual things, but I'm not sure of how we (2 young senior citizens) would be feeling. We are looking to do something in the area so it would be crossed off the "to see" list for the week. Comments welcomed...(Churchill War Rooms? Westminster Abbey? Trafalgar Square? Piccadilly Circus? Covent Gardens? British Museum?) Our next day includes a full day London tour of other areas. Is there a half day afternoon bus tour from Victoria Coach station?

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

Your best bet for avoiding (or minimizing) jet lag is to get outside and stay up until at least 8 p.m. if not later, so I would nix a museum that first afternoon.

A wander around Covent Gardens (you could grab lunch there) would be a good idea, the area by Trafalgar Square, or maybe even Southbank (by the London Eye) where there are usually things happening on the weekends..

Canada
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

If the weather is good - I would go for a walk through the royal parks, down the Mall etc.

Exposes you to the light and keeps you moving.

I go to bed pretty early because I usually don't sleep on the flight - even if Im asleep by 7pm, I get a good nights sleep and am ready to go and re-charged.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,016 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

I agree with the above posts--stay out of the museums and in the open air.

Wirewiper has created a good guided walk for people trying to do a self-guided tour of London during a layover. Perhaps that would suit. Scroll down to "A Quick Self Guided Walking Tour." (I think it takes 2 hours.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c170832/Londo…

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

My plan for arrival day sightseeing (after 24hrs travel from Australia!) is to plan to see some places I would like to see but if things don't work out and I'm falling asleep or feeling really low and have to go back to the accommodation than I won't be devastated.

I have three places on my list for arrival day to visit in the afternoon:

St. Johns Gate, a lovely Tudor era gate

St. Bartholomew the Great church, a lovely medieval church used in many films with a great café

Leadenhall market - great old building and used in the Harry Potter movies.

None of these require me to think too much like a gallery or a museum, none will be overly crowded or noisy, but I still get to walk around and take in some London history and take some (I hope) lovely photos.

And if I'm feeling good, there are plenty of pubs and bars around Leadenhall market for a drink or even an early dinner.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

I agree with the suggestions of staying outside in the fresh air - in addition to going for a walk, you could also look at going on one of the HOHO bus tours to help you get your bearings and see a few sights, and you can jump off and have a wander around if there's a particular area that interests you.

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
206 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

Thanks all. Great ideas.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

I'm pretty sure Westminster Abbey is only open for services on Sunday but if there's a late afternoon Evensong service that's a great way to end a first day--you get a peep at the building and hear some fine music. From your location I would consider walking down to Westminster (check the service times as you pass the Abbey), admire Parliament and Big Ben, cross the bridge, and wander down the South Bank path enjoying the views and the activity--there's usually mimes or music, etc. Plenty of places to stop for a bite and just to think "Gee I'm in London." You could cross back over one of the footbridges and pick up the Tube at Embankment or Charing Cross, I think. Then after a fairly normal bedtime you should be good to go the next day.

8. Re: First day jet lag day sightseeing ideas? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:17