We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Museums

Toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
London Museums

My wife and I are in London for 3 days- our first time there. We are not big "museum people" and we would rather be outside. We don't want to miss anything while we are there so are there any "must-see" works or galleries that we might regret missing?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Museums

Might be best to get a guide book - no-one else can say which would be your 'must-sees'.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Museums

That is impossible to answer, one person's must-see is another's must-avoid. Modern Art, or old masters - it depends on what you are interested in. The National Gallery certainly has a high concentration of master-pieces.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Museums

As has been said, this is very hard to answer.

But if I HAD to give an answer I would say got to the British Museum and see the Egyptian Sculpture gallery. I really has a wow factor. Free to get in.

But London has so many other great museums and art galleries.

For example I think the Natural History Museum is one of the great BUILDINGS in London, and that is before you go inside and look at the exhibits.

In fact the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum and Victoria and Albert museum are all right next to each other in South Kensington, and all are free, and if you wished you could spend a day in each.

But on a rainy morning or afternoon you could pop into each one and spend an hour or so in each of them.

More here

londontoolkit.com/whattodo/southkensingtonmu…

Edited: 24 May 2013, 20:58
Chicago
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Museums

I'm not a huge museum person either, but I do enjoy occasionally popping into one especially when I'm traveling and not likely to get another chance to see the place. But if I'm going somewhere and nothing is already jumping out at me to go see I'll likely not go out of my way to enter the museums there.

London has so much to see outside already, if you don't want to go to galleries, then you simply don't have to. Tower of London, Windsor Castle (outside London I know!), Buckingham Palace etc all have so much wonderful history that my wife and I didn't feel like we missed anything by not doing any museums.

One thing to keep in mind though is that many of them are free, so if it's bad weather you can jump into one for a bit and if you don't like it there's nothing lost.

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Museums

The British Museum and the National Gallery both have Highlights Tours and their Information Desks will tell you about them. The first room next to the National Gallery information desk is the room with Van Gogh's Sunflowers painting.

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: London Museums

The good thing about having so many free museums and galleries is that you don't have to be much of a museum person to enjoy them. You don't have to commit yourself to a long visit to get your money's worth.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,496 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London Museums

I quite enjoy the V&A.

Up to you though.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Museums

I am not a museum person either so I wouldn't go to any.

This really is an impossible question to answer so maybe take a look at a good guide book to see if anywhere might interest you but there is so much to see in London without museums and art galleries so I wouldn't get too hung up about this.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Museums

The Museum of London is Free, a short walk from St. Paul's, is of manageable size, and can put a lot of the sights you are seeing outdoors into context. Lots of the exhibits were dug up during the digging of the foundations of the modern buildings you see around you in the City.

10. Re: London Museums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:16