We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time London: By car from Gatwick airport to WC1E 6HJ?

Freiburg
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time London: By car from Gatwick airport to WC1E 6HJ?

Hi, I have never been to London, never to England either. For various reasons I don't want to use public transport but rather rent a car. Questions: Is it not advisable to go by car to the city? Where I'm living, South Africa, we also drive on the left-hand side and I have a TomTom GPS.

Not far away from the hotel, at 40 Bernard St., I have found parking.

What do you you think, should I be able to manage the trip, are there any important points to consider? Looking forward to your advise.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
London
Level Contributor
10,817 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: First time London: By car from Gatwick airport to WC1E 6HJ?

You mention that you're living in South Africa and haven't visited London. It's probably true where you live that using a car is the best option for getting around. It isn't like that in the UK, where we have an extensive rail network, which is totally safe to use. A private car in central London would give you massive hassle and cost, and the journey from Gatwick is much slower by road compared to train. To add further context, the City authorities in London do a lot to discourage car use: congestion charge, very limited and expensive parking. Most people in central London don't own a car. Sorry to go on a but, but you need a different mindset - a car is not the right answer in London.

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: First time London: By car from Gatwick airport to WC1E 6HJ?

Just to reiterate, the train really is the way to go for your journey to Devon. It will likely be faster than travelling by road and you can sit back and just watch the beautiful scenery go by. Stop off in Marks and spencer at the station before you go and grab your self a picnic to enjoy on the way.

When you head back to Gatwick the change at Reading is very easy and the railway station at Gatwick is basically within the airport.

It might be possible for the hotel in Devon to arrange a pickup from London, but it would be very unusual and cost you a fortune!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: First time London: By car from Gatwick airport to WC1E 6HJ?

If you don't want to use public transport in London, taxis are plentiful and would still probably come up cheaper than a rental car + parking + congestion charge.

From Gatwick, the drive is stupidly long and taking the Southern train to Victoria and a taxi from there would be a smooth trip. Even when there is a taxi queue, it moves quickly.

Freiburg
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: First time London: By car from Gatwick airport to WC1E 6HJ?

I have changed my car rental reservation and will be driving from Gatwick to the city by taxi. Before leaving for Devon I gonna get the car at Russell Square; at Devon without a car I would be stuck, couldn't do/visit anything. Thank you for your good advise!

25. Re: First time London: By car from Gatwick airport to WC1E 6HJ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:16