We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum for 15 yo boy.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Museum for 15 yo boy.

Which would you suggest,Natural History/Science, or any other , as most interesting for a 15 yo boy.After 5 weeks of traveling and fitting in heaps of culture, we would like something geared towards a typical teen. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

If it's open again when you're here, the Imperial War Museum is pretty cool (tanks n guns etc). Second to that the science museum.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,848 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

I second the Imperial War Museum, which is due to re-open on July 30.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london

Not really a museum, but the Tower of London has a lot of weapons of old that might interest him.

The HMS Belfast may interest him.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/hms-belfast

My teen boy also enjoyed the British Museum as long as a) we got off the first floor and b) he got to go where he wanted, and stay for as long or as little as he wanted. He breezed through some sections, but stayed and was fascinated by others, like the clock room, and the Egyptian Mummies.

My teens also enjoyed the Natural History over the Science Museum. They especially liked things like the Earthquake Room,

nhm.ac.uk/kids-only/…

I believe there was also a fairly disgusting exhibit there that they enjoyed about all the bugs that could be found in a typical home. And of course there are the dinosaurs.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

At fifteen surely a boy could have an interest in any of them. It really comes down to what interests him the most.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,097 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

Bit out of the way but the RAF Museum at Hendon is a possibility

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

Here now, going tomorrow.So I guess the Imperial war museum is way out of the question.Thanks for your ideas everyone.Much appreciated.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

There are plenty of buttons to press in the Science Museum. I suspect he'd prefer something tacky like the London Dungeon or MadammeTussauds.

If you've been travelling for 6 weeks I would just rent a few Boris Bikes/ buy a frisbee....walk

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

HiSuedunkbath, I think it will be the Science Museum. He really isn't interested in the tacky stuff and I think he must have walked over 200 miles in the last 4 weeks. We WALK EVERYWHERE, best way to see things. I want to make the most of every minute of our last 4 days. Plenty of time to rest when we get back to Australia.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
151 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

The Wellcome Collection might be of interest. I found it full of unique items, many of which are hands on. I also noticed that many of the teens there seemed engaged. I was part of a small group (of teens) who hung out in the gallery where a staff member demonstrated a machine that printed things in 3D plastic.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

At the Science Museum, go to the Launch Pad on the 3rd floor. Lots of hands-on things to play with, some educational, many of them fascinating or just fun. Suitable for all ages 7 to 70+. The aircraft gallery on the same floor is good too, from a historic point of view.

The earthquake exhibit at the Natural History Museum was closed for renovation last month when we were there.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museum for 15 yo boy.

Why not let your son choose himself?