We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Cornwall in one week

atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London Cornwall in one week

I am planning a trip for 2 families (2 adults one 14 yr. old and 2 adults 16 and 20 yr old) arriving in London early morning July 5th and departing London early morning July 12th. WE will start with a day tour of London on the HOHO bus on Sat. then on Sunday head to Stonehenge, Bath, Wells and Glastonbury then Port Isaac to St. Ives. Then head back to London perhaps by way of Falmouth. I have no idea what is actually do-able per day regarding these sites being that this is what I'm assuming is a very busy time of year. Also, is it advisable to travel by train to these places?

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Cornwall in one week

Is this a holiday or an endurance test? On a visit lasting one week, you're proposing journeys totalling 650 miles which will take a total of at least 15 hours, perhaps 20 hours, solid driving, not counting the time spent at the various destinations or meal breaks etc. I'm assuming you'd have to hire a car (or two), as many of those places are not directly served by trains, e.g. Stonehenge, Wells, Glastonbury, Port Isaac. Also, Devon and Cornwall in July are likely to have a lot of road traffic, which may make for frustrating journeys.

How much you can do in a day depends on how long you want to spend at each place. For example, I wouldn't want to spend less than half a day in Bath. Personally I'd be inclined to reduce the number of destinations for a week's holiday. You might consider taking a train from London to Cornwall and perhaps hiring a car or two while you're down there.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Cornwall in one week

Do you realise how far it is to St Ives from London nevermind stopping at different locations en route?

Put public transport into the equation then you are on a loser anyway because you really cannot do this in a day even with a car.

As for the majority of your stay which is in Cornwall then I would ask their forum for advice as to how to get around. Personally then I think that you are on the road to nowhere all round unless you hire a car.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Cornwall in one week

We went to London, North Wales and Cornwall a few years ago in later July and spent about 6 days in each location. We got off the plane and onto a train to N. Wales, went to Cornwall through Bath (spent a night), then spent 2 nights in Exeter on the way back to London from Cornwall.

We stayed in Falmouth and used public transport to get around in Cornwall. But we had plenty to do for the 6 days we were in Cornwall, nevermind anywhere else.

After Cornwall, we spent 6 days in London (ok, 5 because we spent a day out in Salisbury to see Stonehenge). But we had been to London the year before and spent 12 days just in London alone.

If you've never been to London, I think I'd just stay there. You could take one trip to Salisbury/Stonehenge, OR an overnight to Bath, but I think I'd leave it at that. If you really want to see Cornwall (and I would certainly understand that!), then I think that should be the focus of your trip and you'll basically give up London instead.

You can certainly take the train to Bath, Salisbury or Cornwall. It is a little more complicated to get around once you're in any of those places, but if you're not in a huge hurry, you can do it. Having a car would be much more flexible, but we were not ready to drive on the other side of the road. Cars in the UK are smaller than ours, so I'm not sure you'll fit everyone into a standard vehicle and you may need a van (people carrier) or two cars. Roads in Cornwall, for example, can be kinda narrow as well.

Frankly, you will find plenty to fill your entire vacation in either Cornwall or London, but I think trying to do both (without any of the other locations listed) would be very difficult and you won't see much of either of them.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 02:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Cornwall in one week

never been to Cornwall, but looking forward to after your ideas :)

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Cornwall in one week

You don't have enough time to do justice to any of the places you want to see, but if all you want is to tick places off a list, then it is possible. You don't say how long you actually have in Cornwall, but for a stay of less than a week, I would suggest staying in one place rather than three different places. St Ives and Falmouth are relatively easy by train, Port Isaac is not on a train line and would require a car or using a bus.

You will need to be sorting accommodation quite quickly for a party of your size, and be aware that most self catering cottages etc only book for full weeks at this time of year.

Once you have decided what you would like to do, and if indeed you are going to include Cornwall, pop over to the Cornwall forum for more advice

atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Cornwall in one week

Thank you for your reply and NO having never been to the country all I have to go by is a map and scale to determine distance(which I have done) and no idea of traffic patterns .... that is why I'm asking. Looking at train schedules proves difficult since again I am not familiar with the area.

atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Cornwall in one week

The show Doc Martin is the inspiration behind visiting Cornwall (Port Isaac) as I am taken with the beauty of the countryside but I would hate not to hit some of the London highlights... at the least from the top of a double decker bus! Your kind reply is very informative and helpful in giving me perspective. Thank you.

atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Cornwall in one week

I'm thinking 4 nights in the Cornwall area starting out in St. Ives and working our way back to London. We planned on renting a car if trains/ public transport wasn't readily available. Based on your information maybe staying in a central location and radiating from that point makes the most sense. Any recommendations?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Cornwall in one week

It could work if you go from Heathrow straight to Cornwall, spend your 6 days there travelling around a truly beautiful part of England, then fly back home from Heathrow. You could have a lovely trip. Take the train to get to Cornwall, then perhaps a car when you get there. IME, the roads to and from Cornwall tend to be packed and very slow in the summer. (Actually, so do the roads within Cornwall)

You can also have a lovely trip if you stay in central London, with perhaps a day or over 1 night) trip to Bath and/or one other destination. (Cambridge/Oxford/Canterbury/Brighton?)

You can probably do each trip by train.

What you really can't do is both trips unless you have 2 weeks.

I appreciate that the distances may look reasonable on a map, but the roads are a very different experience to driving long distances in the US.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 14:22
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Cornwall in one week

Sorry, I meant to post this link to help with rail planning.

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search