We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please give opinion on transportation

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Please give opinion on transportation

Based on researching the many postings on TA regarding traveling around London, I would like an opinion on my transportation decisions.

We arrive 11:00am in Heathrow and are staying at a London County Hall hotel. I am favoring pre-booking a car online that will cost £37 for the two of us from Heathrow to the hotel just to keep things simple.

We will have two full days of sightseeing.The first day will be mostly within walking distance of our hotel. No transportation needed, unless we get tired of walking, in which case we would need to buy some type of transportation...probably would be an in the moment decision, but seems inevitable in my opinion.

The following day we plan to visit the Tower of London, I intend to purchase a one day Travelcard from the Waterloo station and use the 2-4-1 deal for admission. We may also decide to visit Greenwich after the Tower of London on the same day's ticket.

Our last day we will need to travel to St Pancras International and I thought we would just purchase a one trip ticket.

Does that sound about right? Or should I consider an Oyster card in addition to the one day TravelCard?

Any input is welcome! Thanks in advance

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please give opinion on transportation

I would consider an Oyster card only if you wanted to take the tube into London--on an Oyster I believe that is £3 each.

Although I can definitely see the appeal of a cab door to door, especially when tired and with luggage. That's a personal choice.

One thing I would advise against--on the day you plan to wander about--do not just buy a single walk up fare on the tube. This is likely to cost £5.50 for even a short ride, when you can easily buy a Travelcard for £7.30, which will give you unlimited travel.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please give opinion on transportation

I agree with Laura, go with the Oyster/travel card. I'd not get a personal car, as I feel it's expensive and not necessarily any quicker than train/tube as the traffic can be quiet or busy (very busy)

Enjoy your stay :)

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please give opinion on transportation

Thank you! I really appreciate the comments/help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,913 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please give opinion on transportation

I too would use PAYG on Oyster on the day you do not use a paper Travelcard with the two for one offers.

Although the cost of the car can be offset by two for one savings, the Underground journey from LHR to County Hall isn't arduous: Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, alight and walk across the platform (takes 10 seconds) to an eastbound District line train. Alight from that train at Westminster, use the Bridge Street way out (there is a lift) and enjoy the view before a stroll across Westminster Bridge.

Piccadilly line cars are designed for people with bags, with extra space in each for large pieces. Most of the journey from airport to Hammersmith is at or above ground, a nice treat as well.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please give opinion on transportation

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a refund on the Oyster Card from the King's Cross Underground station? We will not be traveling back to Heathrow, but we will pass through King's Cross on our way to St. Pancras International. The website says "Take your Oyster card to a Tube station ticket office for a refund of your unused ticket or credit and the deposit. " I tried to find locations, but couldn't find a list, but I did see that there is a Travel Information Center at King's Cross, but I am not sure that counts as an office.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,913 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please give opinion on transportation

KX Underground station has three ticket halls, all staffed, along with the TIC, a small one, near the Euston Road entrance to St Pancras station. You should be able to obtain the Oyster refund at one of the three Tube ticket offices.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please give opinion on transportation

Thank you so much. Very helpful information!

8. Re: Please give opinion on transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 05:16