We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

travelingcats14
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

I asked this question earlier and no one responded so thought I would try again. I just read that Westminster Abbey will be celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Queen's coronation on Tuesday June 2nd which is when I am in London. I didn't plan to be in London for this but wondered if it made any sense to join the crowd at Westminster Abbey to cheer on the Queen and perhaps get a glimpse from afar? The crowds may be so overbearing that it really is not worth the time. If someone would weigh in on the possible crowding or even the possibility of a glimpse of the royals it would be appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,910 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

I think the lack of response is indicative of the general apathy. The Jubilee seems to have been going on for 18 months.... :-)

Your questions were fairly vague "should I turn up"? Why on earth not if thats what you want to do?. Just get down early and soak up the atmosphere.

Remember, NO-ONE alive has see a British Monarch's Diamond Jubilee coronation celebration, so not many people can advise on where to stand, etc.

You may be there on your own! :-)

travelingcats14
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

Hah, thanks for your candid response. I can appreciate that it seems as though the anniversary has been going on for a very long time. While I doubt I will be there on my own, I am interested that I only learned about this particular service when I went on the Westminster Abbey website looking to verify Verger tours. This particular service was not getting much USA press. Now that it is approaching, my web search turns up all sorts of articles about who (royals) will be attending. I'll see if I can drag my friends to the event - if not, I may have to just continue to be one of the group that has never seen a British Monarch's Diamond Jubilee cornation celebration.

travelingcats14
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

Just in case anyone reads this, I want to correct that the Westminster Abbey coronation anniversary service is Tuesday June 4. I noted above that is was June 2.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

I honestly don't know.

At a guess a lot of people will turn out for the event as they always do for Royal occasions.

Living in England I haven't seen anything about this on the news over here but maybe I have switched off because this Jubilee just keeps going on and on. It really isn't of any importance to me.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

If you really want to see it, then go. Dump your friends for the duration and meet up later. This really is your only chance to be at this event in you lifetime.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

(Brit in Seattle). I would say that if you feel like this is an experience you would enjoy - then do it! If the weather is nice, it could be fun. I'm sure the crowds will be smaller than they were for the Jubilee celebrations. There will be a lot of flag waving and cheering, and you'll meet a lot of people. I wouldn't count on actually seeing the Queen though.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,290 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

I think it could be fun to go along and have a look. What have you got to lose?

I went up to the Olympics parade and was surprised to get right to the front with no difficulty.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

It hasn't been given much publicity so it will probably be very low key - however I think if you want to go you should. This will be a great opportnity to see the queen close up. I was once passing the Abbey in october a few years ago and the queen plus several members of the royal family turned up in full regaia for st Edward the Confessors saints day (which she does every year apparently). It was a big surprise but starngely exciting.

I don't think people have Jubilee fatigue its just that some events are given more media attention than others.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

See also reply on original posting. In future, you may do better to bump up your own original question rather than starting a new one, in order not to end up with two threads running.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation

Here you go...it looks like Regent St has put up the bunting for the event. Would be a good photo op for you.

See dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2332595/Purpl…