We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

mumbai
Level Contributor
20 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

PRATICAL TIPS FOR UK VISIT

 From Heathrow terminal 4 take Piccadilly tube line, it’s the most convenient , fastest and cost effective method to reach any destination in London.

 Carrying luggage is not difficult, my family and me carried 4 suitcases till west brompton in the tubes on 2 occasions. You may have to consider lifting luggage’s on stairs as all stations do not have escalators. However in tubes no problem at all.

 From the terminal issue OYSTER passes for the first leg of travel

 Later make use of travel cards depending on the days and zones you wish to travel in.

 Consider making the travel cards from certain stations where they issue u a PHOTO CARD, it entitles you to befit from the 2-4-1 offer, ie buy I ticket get other free. The details are on the national railways website. IT SAVES A LOT OF MONEY IF U ARE 4 PEOPLE TARVELLING .Do take your own passport size photos for each person .I made my pass at Victoria station.

 Use the hop on –off bus tour judiciously. I recommend taking a 24 hr ticket, starting early morning and completing the circuits as per your choice at a stretch. Avoid getting down at site seeing spots as then u will be unable to complete the tours in time . Get off for luch around Covent garden, see Trafalgar square, Piccadilly circus and the complete the tours.

 Do the individual visits to attractions , u have the travel cars anyways to reach most destinations by tube or bus , so y waste precious time of your bus tour to walk in the attractions !

 Buses are great way in London , take a photo of the bus stop nearest to ur hotel/apartment make note of the busses arriving there , most bus drivers direct u from your locations to the busses to your hotel destination.

 However travel time is long during peak hours so choose bus wisely.

 Lyca mobile sim cards are free in London don’t spend money and buy them in India . U can only top off there and u r ready to go. LYCA TO LYCA calls are free. It was a great boon for large family travelling, good network as well.

 I availed of car rental for 7 days from ALAMO , and must say was very impressed. I picked car from Putney bridge ,London and dropped it at Edinburg Station. They have a tie up with Europcar ( surprised how the prices varied between these companies , even though they share premises) .I was pleasantly upgraded at time of Checkin.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Lot
Lot
Occitanie, France
Victoria Station Hotel
Victoria Station Hotel
396 Reviews
London, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,938 Reviews
London, UK
Trafalgar Square
Trafalgar Square
7,091 Reviews
London, UK
Piccadilly Circus
Piccadilly Circus
4,973 Reviews
London, UK
Hudson, Quebec
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

Thank you for the tips! Especially curious how the Alamo prices are so different yet your experience was positive.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 16:29
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

Thanks for the tips, very helpful.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

Hi docviki, where's the nearest place to buy Lyca sim card from Heathrow Terminal 4? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

Good tips. Modern underground maps show step free stations (wheelchair sign) so those have elevators and lifts for those with luggage.

Question regarding HOHO. Given the travelcard includes buses and Lindon buses are so convenient and have routes that cover many of the destinations, is there reason to pay extra for the HOHO?

Texas
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

Thanks Al! I appreciate the tips. :D

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

Tip one is interesting. And wrong.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,487 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

@Rover--you want to avoid getting a sim card at Heathrow. Instead, look for a Carphone Warehouse (or similar) store in London--you'll be tripping over them.

If you have a problem with a sim, you don't want to trek back to Heathrow to fix it.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

@Teacher91: For more detail about stations where steps are un-avoidable (related to Tip 2), I found this helpful -- tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/avoiding-stairs-…

Edited: 30 October 2013, 18:59
London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

Newsagents all over the city sell Lyca sim cards, you don't need a carphonewarehouse etc

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,487 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some tips for london travellers after my recent 8 day trip

How are the newsagents on fixing problems/replacing defective sim cards if you are in a different part of the London from where you purchased the sim?