We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on areas surrounding tube stations

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
Question on areas surrounding tube stations

I got some advice today to just get on the tube and pick a random stop to get off - see what is in the area around that particular tube station. This was in response to my saying we had left time unplanned in our itinerary so we could just happen upon interesting things.

We will be spending a fair amount of time between Westminster, City of London, Southwark/Southbank.

So I was thinking about St Pancras but wondered if anyone had advice on particularly good tube stops where close by there are great old churches or other unique sites and maybe even a particularly good pub or restaurant. These would be outside of the areas we will visit like St Pauls, Westminster Abbey etc.

thanks!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

Go to Temple and explore the Inns of court. They look like Oxbridge colleges, hidden in central London. Temple church appears in The Da Vinci Code.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
848 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

Pop on the Northern line to Highgate then its a short walk to Highgate Village with some great pubs and restaurants. Have a pint at the Flask for a country pub experience in London.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
151 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

I second the Highgate recommendation! It's a great place to explore.

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

Cutty Sark station, to explore Greenwich. Then get a boat back to Westminster.

I'm a bit doubtful about Highgate Village being only a short walk from Highgate station. As I recall, it was quite a distance and uphill in both directions, but I may have been mistaken.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 00:16
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

Thanks. I'll look into these. There is a London Walks tour I was interested in that starts at the Temple Tube station - the Hidden Pubs of London walking tour. Inns of Court looks awesome too. And, we are planning on a river cruise so maybe starting in Greenwich will work out well.

All good choices -that has been the hardest part of this is there is so much more to do than we'll have time. I guess we'll be back again some time down the road!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

Get off at Angel, walk up Colebrook Row to the Regents Canal and walk east half an hour to Broadway Market, located at the bottom of London Fields Park. The walk along the canal is interesting because it goes from modern loft style buildings to a traditional East London style. The area is not touristy but rather where Londoners go to shop at the market and have a pint/Sunday roast dinner. I believe there is a traditional cafe on that road that sells eel and mushy peas.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,786 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

I haven't actually done any of these yet, but I have this site saved for future trips www.tubewalker.com . It has walks between different tube stops. There's also an iphone, ipad, and android app.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

If you are in the area of the Temple tube station on a weekday between 9 and around 3 pm, have a look at the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand.

There is airport style security to get in (although no 100 mil. liquids rule) and cameras are not permitted, but although the building is only Victorian Gothic, it is rather fabulously so.and the Great Hall is certainly worth a look. as is the West Green Building.

If you go between 10 and 10.30, there will be barristers in wig and gown hurrying to the courts through the main hall as the robing rooms are downstairs near the entrance and the courtroom are (mostly) upstairs further along.

If you go up the small staircase to the left near the end of the great hall. there is an exhibition of legal dress.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 05:31
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,529 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

Island Gardens just for the view of Greenwich - and the foot tunnel under the Thames to Greenwich which surfaces by Cutty Sark

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question on areas surrounding tube stations

Great suggestions from everyone! Of course my husband said my planning is not in the spirit of the advice- just randomly get off at any tube station! I can't help myself - I like some ideas to get us started.

We leave tomorrow for our brief week in London. The weather forecast is optimistic and I am excited to get this vacation started!