We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

I am packing for our four week trip to England (staying with family just south of London) and a week in Paris. I only travel with carry-on luggage and so each piece of clothing is carefully scrutinized. At this point I fear I have one too many pairs of pants.

I've got a pair of boot cut jeans in blue denim, a pair of cropped skinnies in blue denim, a pair of Levi's skinnies in black denim with gray top-stitching, a pair of black skinny ankle length trousers for dress and a pair of longer khaki shorts. Obviously I'll be wearing one pair over but it's still one more pair than what I usually bring.

We do a mix of sightseeing, hiking. etc. Nothing too strenuous but we'll head down to Eastbourne and maybe a few other places to hike. We'll be pounding the pavement in Paris and London, putting on lots of miles as we take in the sights.

I know this shouldn't be such a difficult decision. We depart next Wednesday and I think my brain is getting overloaded and decisions are getting harder. I COULD bring all of them but would like a little more room for the return trip. I just weighed my suitcase and I'm at 24 pounds without my toiletries and a couple of guide books. By the time I'm done I'll probably be at about 30 pounds. Does that seem excessive?

Thoughts and opinions are gratefully appreciated. Thank you!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

I would avoid jeans - they're uncomfortable when wet and take ages to dry.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

Skinnies are presumably lighter (less material)? This week is the first week I even contemplated cropped trousers (and today was their first outing!). I have seen a couple of teenagers in shorts (but with black opaque tights underneath).

I think I'd leave the shorts at home and just buy a pair if it really does warm up and you are going places where shorts are the norm.

Do pack some long-sleeve shirts/teeshirts and/or lightweight woollen to play safe.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

Bring the ones YOU like the best!!

You will see allsorts in London!

Anyway, no-one will notice, much, and no-one else will care what you wear!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

It's all skinnys at the mo but as already said, where what you feel comfortable with.

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

Firstly, in the UK a"pair of pants" usually refers to underwear rather than trousers! Wouldn't want any unfortunate confusion!;-)

You probably are bringing too many trousers/jeans. I live in my jeans so I understand why you want to bring them, but I would also bring a lighter weight pair of trousers that can be quickly washed and dried as necessary. Bring the trousers that are most comfortable and you are most likely to wear whether you are at home or abroad. There is nothing worse than carrying clothes on holiday that you end up taking home clean because you never felt quite right wearing them!(I do this all the time!)

But other than that , anything goes over here and no one will care what you wear!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

+1 to what Bobelinks and EW said (although if forced to choose I would say straight leg or slightly pegged trews rather than boot cut).

No skirt or lightweight dress in the mix? They can be comfortable for sightseeing, and a skirt can be dressed up or down with different top components. Lightweight fabrics with a bit of modal weigh little and tend to travel well, too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

a pair of boot cut jeans in blue denim

a pair of cropped skinnies in blue denim

a pair of Levi's skinnies in black denim with gray top-stitching

a pair of black skinny ankle length trousers for dress

a pair of longer khaki shorts

I'd ditch the boot cut OR ditch the crops and roll up the Levis to be crops. I'd definitely ditch the shorts, you probably won't wear them. Rule of thumb for carry on, don't pack anything you THINK you MIGHT wear, pack only what you KNOW you WILL wear.

I wear slim legs, have several different types in black and dark indigo stretch jean. I roll them up tight for packing, fold the legs up to wear as crops, they're all a lightweight stretchy cotton material and wash and drip dry easily and quickly. (I stopped wearing real, heavy jeans a long time ago).

But as suggested already, take the ones you are really comfortable in, because when it comes down to it, when travelling........comfort takes priority.

BTW, do you really need those guide books, can you perhaps photocopy the relevant pages instead? You would save a couple of lbs by not taking them. 30 lbs is pretty heavy for a carry-on bag......does it have wheels? If not lighten up as much as you can, your back, shoulders and arms will thank you. :-)

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

Aw, you guys are the best! Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes I need to hear from someone else what I already know. I'd been questioning the shorts so I'm going to pull them out. The bootcuts are going to stay home too. I'm newly motivated to go over my bag and remove a few other items as well...

Guess what. My 17 year old daughter had already told me the same things you guys are telling me. Now she's giving me grief about not listening to her but taking the advice of strangers on TripAdvisor. Lest you begin to feel sorry for her, she's accompanying me on our England/France journey, so her life's not TOO bad...

P.S. Londonlass, I'd love to know where you got your lightweight stretch jean!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

None of your suggestions are suitable for hiking. You should not go hiking in jeans, as if they get wet (inevitable in the UK) they won't dry. Worse case scenario is then hypothermia. Do make sure all of your party have sensible clothing and footwear if you really intend to go hiking in the UK or France.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silly question: Boot cut jeans or skinnies?

Be aware, too, that even if you were able to wash these, your relatives may not have a dryer; many don't, and denim can take two days + to air dry in this climate.